A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Rumblings on social media are indicating that OUAS will be on D+ in international territories tomorrow and attached with the Moana theatrical rerelease in the US, but is no longer going to be with Wish.

Moana projects confuse me entirely at this point, do you mean the live action version? Has that even entered serious pre production?

42 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The current rerelease of the animated movie which is part of their Disney100 rerelease program

Are they re-releasing the first Frozen in theaters? That would very cool. The movie is 10 years old now, where has the time gone?

45 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Are they re-releasing the first Frozen in theaters? That would very cool. The movie is 10 years old now, where has the time gone?

Nope, don’t like that at all. Kids who grew up with Frozen are old enough now for nostalgia for their childhood phase, wtf 

8 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

They did it two months ago. I've actually been to all the re-releases so far, and I'm going to see Moana later today to celebrate the big birthday/anniversary. It's gonna be awesome! Exciting!

https://www.cinemark.com/misc/movie-event-landing-pages/disney100-special-engagements/

Posted this in the Wish thread but there are tidbits about other works too.

With 'Wish' and 'Once Upon a Studio,' Disney honors past and future | EW.com

One part I found interesting:

After Wish, Lee teases further exploration into how hand-drawn animation works alongside CG animation, noting one of her filmmakers is already at work on such a project. But another, perhaps greater experiment is the plan for a Moana animated Disney+ series that acts as a sequel to the 2016 fantasy epic. "One of the things that I don't think is quite what we aim to do here is a Simpsons or a Phineas and Ferb, where it's a series formula," she explains of that project. "The filmmakers tend to work more in a miniseries kind of concept that's closer to features. In some ways, if it's five episodes, I think of it as a five-act play, but that's because of how a lot of us grew up. Some of us here have worked in series, so we help each other. But for me, it's more about the storytelling. No matter what format we're going to do it, it has to be as big, bold, epic, and of the same quality." 

I am still kinda skeptical if it sees the light of day given streaming's regression, but I guess it will depend on how much of an audience Win or Lose finds.

Disney 100 + OUAS are basically the perfect setup for Wish to breakout if it’s well received. Really hope WDAS brought their A game. As always with a WDAS musical, breakout success hinges almost entirely on how the soundtrack is received. Tangled is probably the ceiling for a WDAS musical that doesn’t have breakout songs. 

• Like 1

The whole thread is interesting and had some neat tidbits. Guardians was more or less left the way it was because Perlmutter wanted it to fail to reign in Feige, Norton and MCC creative beef, Perlmutter and the committee largely setting the precedent for Phase 2’s quality problems viewing it as a way to move merchandise (Hela was supposed to be Thor 2’s villain) and some of the constraints still today, the next Big 3 being Panther, Spidey and Carol but Boseman untimely passing, Sony taking back Spidey and Feige and the parliament leaving Larson to the wolves, No Way Home barely making it out alright, Chapek and Iger pushing Armor Wars and Fantastic Four despite not being ready, the shows not being run by Feige but the executives, Feige firing Alonso was mainly due to her response to the Don't Say Gay law 

1 hour ago, YM! said:

The whole thread is interesting and had some neat tidbits. Guardians was more or less left the way it was because Perlmutter wanted it to fail to reign in Feige, Norton and MCC creative beef, Perlmutter and the committee largely setting the precedent for Phase 2’s quality problems viewing it as a way to move merchandise (Hela was supposed to be Thor 2’s villain) and some of the constraints still today, the next Big 3 being Panther, Spidey and Carol but Boseman untimely passing, Sony taking back Spidey and Feige and the parliament leaving Larson to the wolves, No Way Home barely making it out alright, Chapek and Iger pushing Armor Wars and Fantastic Four despite not being ready, the shows not being run by Feige but the executives, Feige firing Alonso was mainly due to her response to the Don't Say Gay law 

I've read (most of) the book and some of this is not quite right. The Armor Wars and Fantastic Four stuff is related to the Investor Day 2021 presentation and is entirely laid at Chapek's feet. He apparently pressured both Feige and Kathleen Kennedy to announce projects that were not far enough in development to announce. The book implies that Feige and Marvel lost one of their key protectors when Iger stepped back as CEO. The Alonso stuff is mostly right, except Feige didn't fire her, he just didn't intervene when Disney decided to. Interestingly, there's a whole chapter on Marvel's relationships and issues with VFX houses, including the poor working conditions that have become endemic across Hollywood, and none of that gets laid at Alonso's feet, in contrast to all of the Vulture reporting that called her out in particular.

In general, Feige comes off well in the book, except his one big thing is that you keep all complaints in house. Joss Whedon's Age of Ultron press interviews made him persona non grata at Marvel and Alonso pushing back publicly against Disney pretty much ended her career there. That part is all a little Godfather-esque. Other than that, the book strongly argues that Feige is indeed Marvel's special sauce, now spread too thin to be as effective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Curious as to how this works as a live action series but hey!

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I just noticed the Gargoyles showrunner was the person who created DCs Swamp Thing show. Which means the Gargoyles are very likely going to be almost entirely makeup and prosthetics. Hell yes.

My knee jerk problem with this is the song and dance I've been refining for the last..

*checks calendar*

five, going on six years now: Budget waaaaaay out of step of what could reasonably be seen as a success.  A live action series like this, is gonna be expensive.  Especially if they go heavy on practical effects.

Now judging streaming budgets is inherently difficult thanks to how how the whole system is structured, but even if I set aside budgeting I would be... concerned how a sprawling, near-epic like story like Gargoyles (and scoff if one wants at calling it near-epic but I think the strata for the claim exists) is not... easily condensed in a 6 to 8 episode series. 

The refining I am currently chewing over is looking at many of the common complaints surrounding D+ shows, both Marvel and Star Wars:  The six to eight episode order structure seems to have drawbacks, if for different reasons.  Some shows seem to be hit with a bat for having a movie's plot stretched out too thin while other shows are being criticized for plot structures not fully being developed.

I... sympathize with a possible counter-claim that this is an incoherent complaint, except to note that it could be a Goldilocks Problem where it is difficult to thread the needle and hit at the right length.  I do find it noteworthy, however, that two of the near unambiguous success stories, WandaVision and Andor*, had longer episode orders.  And even WV got hit by some for not sticking the landing as clearly as it could.

* at least when it came to reception from the people who did see it in the case of Andor.

I think a better observation is making sure one nails down story structure far ahead of time, as I would note the near universal acclaim of Mando S2 compared to the more haphazard reaction to Mando S3**.

** Yes, I'm setting aside reactions to other Marvel and SW shows as I want to try to keep the point as focused as possible and stick to like vs like comparisons.  Loki S1, for instance, also was very well recieved.

Now I must admit I'm more worried about "expensive show not finding an audience" than I am order length, as Gargoyles is still a fairly niche fandom, if a loud one.  But I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned about adaptation as well.  Even the first season of the animated series might not map that neatly to a 6/8 episode order.  Once we start getting into the meat of the show, though...

========

Alllll of the above said, I completely understand why Disney would want to pursue this.  But I... I hope Disney overall is learning lessons about not making these things too expensive as well as pigeonholing them into a set number of episodes and taking that into consideration at this stage of planning.

Yes, all incredibly premature — this is part commentary on the project itself and part commentary on Disney's track record on 6/8 episode order series.

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

My knee jerk problem with this is the song and dance I've been refining for the last..

*checks calendar*

five, going on six years now: Budget waaaaaay out of step of what could reasonably be seen as a success.  A live action series like this, is gonna be expensive.  Especially if they go heavy on practical effects.

Now judging streaming budgets is inherently difficult thanks to how how the whole system is structured, but even if I set aside budgeting I would be... concerned how a sprawling, near-epic like story like Gargoyles (and scoff if one wants at calling it near-epic but I think the strata for the claim exists) is not... easily condensed in a 6 to 8 episode series. 

I don't think it's impossible. The big expensive thing is the makeup if they're doing it practically, but shows like Star Trek have used extensive practical FX before. I think it could work.