A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 minute ago, ZeroHour said:

Yeah Disney won't move Elio. See: Elemental and The Flash.

But this time it's the exact target demo and HTTYD is making more than THE FLASH. I hope Disney realizes they need to move it to a better date. I know they'll use the "From the makers of INSIDE OUT II..." marketing thing, but still.

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

But this time it's the exact target demo and HTTYD is making more than THE FLASH. I hope Disney realizes they need to move it to a better date. I know they'll use the "From the makers of INSIDE OUT II..." marketing thing, but still.

I know it's hard to believe now, but The Flash was supposed to be one of the biggest movies last summer. People here thought Disney was crazy for keeping Elemental on that date. Disney is very stubborn about dates and rarely blinks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justnumbers said:

Disney won't Blink. Just accept and move on. Disney will probably looking for the long haul. And the reality is that one is animated and the other is live-action so we'll see. I could see neither moving.

If you compare the disney live action remakes to their animated films you clearly see a different audience with the live action films looking more like a PG-13 audience while the animated films being the definition of G/PG ones. It could still hurt but they're not perfect substitutes in the way an animted HTTYD film would be.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

I know it's hard to believe now, but The Flash was supposed to be one of the biggest movies last summer. People here thought Disney was crazy for keeping Elemental on that date. Disney is very stubborn about dates and rarely blinks.

They blinked with Planet of the Apes...

Some D23 predictions: 

Disney:

Lilo & Stitch trailer + release date (probably Nov/Dec) still on D+

Snow White trailer

Hocus Pocus 3 announcement 

Freaky Friday 2 cast saying hi from set + Aug. 25 release

Tron short footage 

Mufasa footage

Hercules cast + date announcement 

Animated:

Moana 2 footage

Official 2ootopia announcement/movie info/cast

Frozen 3 official cast announcement for Nov. 26 

Original movie Nov. 27 announcement

Frozen 4 announcement 

Marvel: 

Agatha trailer

Daredevil trailer

Wonder Man footage

2025 Marvel schedule shuffle

Star Wars:

Skeleton Crew trailer 

Ashoka Season 2 reconfirmation 

PIXAR:

New Elio footage

Toy Story 5 cast announcement + storyline

Original announcement for Mar. 26

Incredibles 3 for June 27

Fox:

Prey 2 announcement release date (theaters) 

Planet of the Apes sequel (May 27)

• Like 1

I don't anticipate any animation announcements further out than 2026, they've been keeping their long term slates closer to the chest ever since they were forced to make major delays and cancellations public with Good Dino and Gigantic. WDA especially I don't imagine wants to publicly commit to anything that far out coming off Strange World and Wish. I also don't think an incredibles 3 happens without Brad Bird, who's currently working on a movie at Skydance.

Don't think Lilo will be releasing this year plus or otherwise, Disney wouldn't want it to get lost in the shuffle between Moana and Mufasa. Somewhere between March and May next year seems like the likeliest bet imo. 

Star Wars wise I'm sure they'll be hyping up the Mando movie.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

So I played with a Magic 8-Ball for the first time last night and made some predictions. Today, it accurately got right Tim Walz as our VP nominee - lets see what else it gets right as I predicted a whole D23 lineup:

Will Stitch go theatrical for 2025? It is certain Lilo and Stitch for theatrical 2025

Any Muppets update for movie or TV? Definitely No. 

Will we see updates on Marvel 2026 movie slate? Signs point to Yes

An update on the Hercules movie? Signs point to Yes

Will Shang Chi 2 be one of the 2026 movies? Definitely No 

Will Zootopia 2 have anthropomorphic reptiles? Outlook good 

Will Mandalorian be pushed to Christmas 2026? Signs point to yes

Definitely No Ice Age live action remake but signs point to Rio remake announced

Will Alta 2 be announced? Outlook good on an Alita 2 announcement

Will Aphton Corbin be 2026 Pixar? Definitely Aphton Corbin is March 2026 Pixar

Will Moana be lesbian in Moana 2? You may rely on Moana being a lesbian in the sequel

Will a 2010s Disney show get a nostalgia revival? It is certain. Gravity Falls? Definitely No? Good Luck Charlie? Ask again? Jessie? Better to not tell you now about a Jessie reboot.

Will Abbot Elementary’s crossover be revealed? Signs point to yes. Will it be with The Bear? It is certain the Abbott Elementary crossover is with The Bear

Will we get an Avengers: Doomsday lineup? Certainly

Will National Treasure 3 be announced? All signs point to yes

9 hours ago, crazymoviekid said:

Some D23 predictions: 

Disney:

Lilo & Stitch trailer + release date (probably Nov/Dec) still on D+

Snow White trailer

Hocus Pocus 3 announcement 

Freaky Friday 2 cast saying hi from set + Aug. 25 release

Tron short footage 

Mufasa footage

Hercules cast + date announcement 

Animated:

Moana 2 footage

Official 2ootopia announcement/movie info/cast

Frozen 3 official cast announcement for Nov. 26 

Original movie Nov. 27 announcement

Frozen 4 announcement 

Marvel: 

Agatha trailer

Daredevil trailer

Wonder Man footage

2025 Marvel schedule shuffle

Star Wars:

Skeleton Crew trailer 

Ashoka Season 2 reconfirmation 

PIXAR:

New Elio footage

Toy Story 5 cast announcement + storyline

Original announcement for Mar. 26

Incredibles 3 for June 27

Fox:

Prey 2 announcement release date (theaters) 

Planet of the Apes sequel (May 27)

Disney:

Snow White teaser

Stitch announcement trailer for Memorial Day 2025 theatrically

Freaky Friday announcement for August 2025

Mufasa footage

Hercules announcement for 2026

Disney+ slate update

WDA:

Moana 2 footage featuring a new song and a look at the villain.

2topia announcement with new cast members with reptiles 

Frozen 3/4 announced as two parter - said to be next films but no date chosen for either.

Pixar:

Elio footage with Domes Shi announced as co-director

Win or Lose footage

Dream Productions with Daniel Chong showrunning

2026 Pixar announced likely either from Daniel Chong or Rossana Sullivan or Enrico Cassarosa

Official TS5 announcement with synopsis

Marvel:

Agatha, Wonder Man and Daredevil focus

Slate rearranging for theatrical with Blade as one of the 2026 movies with either SC2 or Armor Wars as the other mystery one

Lucasfilm:

Skeleton Crew footage and trailer

Fox:

Apes 2 date and Avatar 3 footage 

• Like 1

https://variety.com/2024/digital/news/price-increase-disney-plus-hulu-espn-plus-2024-1236096956/

Disney Hiking Prices Across All Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ Stand-Alone Plans

The ad-supported version of Disney+ is rising $2 monthly, to $9.99; Disney+ Premium (no ads) is also going up by two bucks, to $15.99. Hulu with ads will now cost $9.99/month (up $2) and the ad-free Hulu is going up a dollar, to $18.99/month.

• ...wtf 1

I mean judging from IO2 and Deadpool it really doesn't seem to.

Park attendance stagnation was the reason for the unimpressive earnings report. That's where a lot of their revenue comes from and was why their terrible 2023 at the box office didn't impact their bottom line so much. They announced $17 billion in new investments in June and I imagine a lot of investor attention will be on their Saturday D23 presentation.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

LOL

I'm not sure 100 day windows for streaming really hurt the box office of Disney films. And pure box office receipts are a tiny part of Disney's revenue. But they're not really going to spend a lot of money on Disney+ exclusives anymore so I don't know where growth is going to come from, outside price increases. Not that the Disney+ exclusives really got a lot of viewership.

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm not sure 100 day windows for streaming really hurt the box office of Disney films. And pure box office receipts are a tiny part of Disney's revenue. But they're not really going to spend a lot of money on Disney+ exclusives anymore so I don't know where growth is going to come from, outside price increases. Not that the Disney+ exclusives really got a lot of viewership.

I think they are going to lean into their theatrical slate to grow subscribers.  In their presentation today they pointed out that Inside Out drove 1.3M sign ups since the first Inside Out 2 teaser dropped 9 months ago.  They state these 1.3M accounts watched Inside Out as their first stream after sign up and also mention Disney+ served as a marketing vehicle for the new film 

With big franchise sequels coming out in Moana, Frozen, Zootopia and Toy Story, those movies should help fuel growth for new subscribers as well.  Not only that, they get a second benefit once those movies hit the service as well and these movies will serve as a marketing vehicle for Disney+.

The big question is how do they retain those subscribers when they are spending less on originals and what feels like having little added to the service.  With the latest price increases and increased bundle options now with Max, they must feel that churn is not be too bad when someone signs up for a bundle and will keep pushing those options.

• Like 3