A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

2 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Again, no one cares. It's completely meaningless, a useless metric

Ok compare Ms. Marvel total IMDb votes to other live action MCU shows, you'll know how Ms. Marvel is lowest watched D+ mcu show.

23 hours ago, Willowra said:

Ok compare Ms. Marvel total IMDb votes to other live action MCU shows, you'll know how Ms. Marvel is lowest watched D+ mcu show.

Wouldn't surprise. Its just over saturated with some really poor content muddled in there. Disney need to overhaul their streaming content. Original characters who bleed a bit into the MCU (Dare Devil) would work better. As it is it just feels like 6 hours of advertising.

16 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Wouldn't surprise. Its just over saturated with some really poor content muddled in there. Disney need to overhaul their streaming content. Original characters who bleed a bit into the MCU (Dare Devil) would work better. As it is it just feels like 6 hours of advertising.

We will know in a few days whether Secret Invasion is able to break the record of Ms. Marvel and become the lowest-watched live-action MCU show on D+ or not. Hopefully, Samba TV releases weekend data.

Disney recently released a new profile for the second season of Loki, teasing a little more of the show's multiversal-traveling plot. Picking up moments after the finale of Loki Season One, the series will follow the eponymous Asgardian (Tom Hiddleston) and Mobius M. Mobius (Owen Wilson) as they traverse multiple realities in hopes of righting the timeline.

"Loki Season 2 picks up in the aftermath of the shocking season finale when Loki finds himself in a battle for the soul of the Time Variance Authority," the new synopsis reads. "Along with Mobius, Hunter B-15 and a team of new and returning characters, Loki navigates an ever-expanding and increasingly dangerous multiverse in search of Sylvie, Judge Renslayer, Miss Minutes and the truth of what it means to possess free will and glorious purpose."

While Kang the Conqueror, He Who Remains, or any other variant of the villain isn't listed in the synopsis, Jonathan Majors still appears as part of the profile's cast list despite the actor's ongoing legal battles. In addition to Hiddleston, Wilson, and Majors, Sofia di Martino, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Wunmi Mosaku, Eugene Cordero, Rafael Casal, Tara Strong, Kate Dickie, Liz Carr, Neil Ellice, and Ke Huy Quan are also listed.

Do we really trust Samba these days? Because I never did. There isn’t really any good metric for streaming imho.

If this actually happens and 2024 becomes an wasteland, here is what I propose to Iger and Feige to help movie theaters and please as a fanboy and a movie fan:

If there are too many delays (I kinda don’t expect Deadpool 3 and Captain America: Brave New World to be affected to the point of delays, but maybe Thunderbolts isn’t making it), I say work a deal with movie theaters worldwide to re-release ALL the MCU films throughout the years, release order of course. Get IMAX and Dolby screens for it. Call it a celebration of 16 years of the MCU or something. I want to scream like I’m at a Taylor Swift’s concert when Cap says the two magic words again.

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

If this actually happens and 2024 becomes an wasteland, here is what I propose to Iger and Feige to help movie theaters and please as a fanboy and a movie fan:

If there are too many delays (I kinda don’t expect Deadpool 3 and Captain America: Brave New World to be affected to the point of delays, but maybe Thunderbolts isn’t making it), I say work a deal with movie theaters worldwide to re-release ALL the MCU films throughout the years, release order of course. Get IMAX and Dolby screens for it. Call it a celebration of 16 years of the MCU or something. I want to scream like I’m at a Taylor Swift’s concert when Cap says the two magic words again.

You do realise that it's not going to affect 2024 like Covid did. 

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

It could actually be worse, tbh. Not really for you or me, but movie theaters. 

A strike is not the same as a pandemic because once a deal is made, everyone is back at work fairly quickly. 

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Excellent Guest Column write up at THR about Disney+ latest documentary on Stan Lee, written by legendary Marvel Comics editor and writer Roy Thomas:

I like Roy Thomas and his work. 
Annnnd… he’s making a weird argument. 
The idea that Jack Kirby should have been nicer about Stan’s work is asking a whole lot of Kirby (RIP). 
Stan got the most credit at the time. Most credit over the years. And spent the last few years being the beloved face  or mascot of hugely successful movies. 
Meanwhile, Kirby had to fight against Marvel to get back actual art work he did. 
I don’t think Stan was a villain. I think he was a favored son who didn’t seem to mind getting more credit than he should have. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

I like Roy Thomas and his work. 
Annnnd… he’s making a weird argument. 
The idea that Jack Kirby should have been nicer about Stan’s work is asking a whole lot of Kirby (RIP). 
Stan got the most credit at the time. Most credit over the years. And spent the last few years being the beloved face  or mascot of hugely successful movies. 
Meanwhile, Kirby had to fight against Marvel to get back actual art work he did. 
I don’t think Stan was a villain. I think he was a favored son who didn’t seem to mind getting more credit than he should have. 

I think he wasn’t aiming at Kirby but his estate, that clearly went off the mark last week. Stan lived longer yes, Thomas is right that both are co-creators and should always be seen as such, but I think it’s awful to see Kirby’s family claiming that Jack Kirby created the Marvel Universe, actually. Because it’s not true, and Thomas does a good job explaining such. The idea of the "world outside of your window" is very much Stan Lee’s, so while we owe Jack Kirby the Marvel Universe, same could be said about Stan. Both are gone. Fighting over this doesn’t make any of them or their families looking particularly good. I’m all for Kirby getting co-creator’s credit, but saying that he came up with everything and is the actual father of the Marvel Universe is a bit much.

My memories of these discussions in the 80s were about creator rights and specifically Jack being sick and not being in great financial shape. The Cb media was fully on Jack’s side overall and about the artwork. 
Stan laid low in that and later it paid off for him as this beloved figure. But kinda the only beloved figure to mainstream audiences. That’s too bad. 
You’re right that these things can’t be fixed now. Still, I would be super cranky about it if I was Kirby’s family. 
Roy kinda both-sidesing it is disappointing. He himself is a true legend of the game. I was reading his Avengers stuff a million years ago. 
Roy stanning for Stan is like Triple H being given the mic about Vince McMahon. 
Kirby actually lampooned Stan and Roy in some of his work  
I love Stan though. I need to watch the doc itself. 

Interesting the note on the Black households over-indexing on this one. To give some perspective, Mandalorian is arguably Disney+ biggest series and according with Samba, it’s Season 3 opened to 1.4m views across the same period:

Ms. Marvel, Marvel Studios show with the lowest 5-day premiere opened at 775k households:

Peacemaker’s season finale was watched on 584k US households during its first 4-day:

Black Mirror’s first episode was watched by 1.1m US households I think that at the day that premiered:

I think that one thing to consider here based on audience ratings data I follow here in Brazil is that since we don’t live in a pandemic anymore, it makes sense that the ratings of streaming were more inflated that time in contrast to now. So I kinda feel that people underplaying the number of these MCU series is kinda of an over-exaggeration for cooler talk. No one is expecting Mandalorian to stop getting green-lighted, it stands to reason that Secret Invasion doing less than Mandalorian S3 is not only reasonable but expected.

Curiously enough, Mandalorian’s Season 3 opened below She-Hulk:

And I absolutely love She-Hulk. It’s the one character next to Daredevil that I think it would benefit a lot of having a series and several seasons over all the MCU characters so far. I kinda think Ms. Marvel could work too as a teenage superhero drama, but not sure where they are heading with her after Marvels.

8 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Interesting the note on the Black households over-indexing on this one. To give some perspective, Mandalorian is arguably Disney+ biggest series and according with Samba, it’s Season 3 opened to 1.4m views across the same period:

Ms. Marvel, Marvel Studios show with the lowest 5-day premiere opened at 775k households:

Peacemaker’s season finale was watched on 584k US households during its first 4-day:

Black Mirror’s first episode was watched by 1.1m US households I think that at the day that premiered:

I think that one thing to consider here based on audience ratings data I follow here in Brazil is that since we don’t live in a pandemic anymore, it makes sense that the ratings of streaming were more inflated that time in contrast to now. So I kinda feel that people underplaying the number of these MCU series is kinda of an over-exaggeration for cooler talk. No one is expecting Mandalorian to stop getting green-lighted, it stands to reason that Secret Invasion doing less than Mandalorian S3 is not only reasonable but expected.

Curiously enough, Mandalorian’s Season 3 opened below She-Hulk:

And I absolutely love She-Hulk. It’s the one character next to Daredevil that I think it would benefit a lot of having a series and several seasons over all the MCU characters so far. I kinda think Ms. Marvel could work too as a teenage superhero drama, but not sure where they are heading with her after Marvels.

It sucks Ms. Marvel did so low compared to other MCU shows cause that one is probably my favourite when all is said and done, but it sounds like it hit the demos they wanted (did better with teens/young adults) so my guess is they'll probably make at least a second season.

• Like 1