CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

There's new promotional material at NYCC for Kong: Skull Island. No trailer, but a map of Skull Island with mysterious messages that can only be seen under a black light.

http://www.scified.com/news/major-skull-island-details--hidden-messages-discovered-kong-skull-island-poster

Some information reveals:

Spoiler

- The Monarch logo, with a serpentine creature's skeleton hidden behind it.

- The skeleton of an impossibly colossal, marine reptile that appears to be buried under Skull Island.

- References to a "hypervore" (PROTIP: DON'T LOOK IT UP ONLINE) in the boneyard (probably the location in the trailer that was littered with giant animal remains). Also mentions a "florafauna harvest site."

- Information regarding Kong himself, notably that he is referred to as an "Apex Primate," and is suggested to be an "adolescent superspecies." So he's a younger version of his predecessor(s) and probably has a lot of time to grow between the 1970s and 2020.

I love this secrecy stuff in the promotional materials. Reminds me of 2013 and 2014 when I waited for Godzilla

• Like 2

The amount of times I read "That looks like Isla Nubar!"....anyway, oh, I want that poster.

I kind of hope they expand on how all of these giant animals live in relative harmony if they take that route. That irked me in the 05 version.

A viral website for the movie is now online:

http://www.discoverskullisland.com/

It reminds me of December of 2013 when that viral website for Godzilla popped up and was littered with numerous goodies pertaining to the franchise. This cryptic stuff is what I love most about the marketing for these movies.

I bet that when the "TERRASEARCH/LANDSAT INTERCEPT" meter reaches 100%, we'll get a new trailer. That's what they had for Godzilla.

On October 2, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

It's the only theme they've used in more then one film, discounting the Captain America: First Avenger Theme.

The issue is that is that Marvel is lackluster with music continuity.

Agreed mostly, Marvel movies have fine music, but it's not for the most part memorable.  Man of Steel's score crushes anything done by Marvel.  That was great.  Though...I loved the WW theme.  I do really love the Man of Steel score.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Agreed mostly, Marvel movies have fine music, but it's not for the most part memorable.  Man of Steel's score crushes anything done by Marvel.  That was great.  Though...I loved the WW theme.  I do really love the Man of Steel score.

Man of Steel is not a particularly great score though, although I do remember making a comment in the past I thought it was great, my opinion's a change a bit since then, although there are still tracks I enjoy of it. In many ways it's Zimmer repeating his TDK / Batman Begins music, even to the point where the main theme is not being designed to specifically be hummable (you may find it memorable, but the way it's done, it's clearly not meant to be super memorable), but he tries to go for a bit more optimism, throwing in a piano for good measure. 

I'm a little less favorable on BVS's score though. Wonder Woman's theme is good, although I think it's a bit inappropriate for the character, and I like Lex's theme, but a lot of the Junkie XL / other tracks come off too much like noise to me, like a lot of remote control scores.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Man of Steel is not a particularly great score though, although I do remember making a comment in the past I thought it was great, my opinion's a change a bit since then, although there are still tracks I enjoy of it. In many ways it's Zimmer repeating his TDK / Batman Begins music, even to the point where the main theme is not being designed to specifically be hummable (you may find it memorable, but the way it's done, it's clearly not meant to be super memorable), but he tries to go for a bit more optimism, throwing in a piano for good measure. 

I'm a little less favorable on BVS's score though. Wonder Woman's theme is good, although I think it's a bit inappropriate for the character, and I like Lex's theme, but a lot of the Junkie XL / other tracks come off too much like noise to me, like a lot of remote control scores.

I LOVE MAN OF STEEL'S SOUNDTRACK HOW DARE YOU.

Ok sorry I had a moment.  You speak some truth though and I understand that.  I meant no offense.  I can hum the fuck out of that theme though.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kowhite said:

I LOVE MAN OF STEEL'S SOUNDTRACK HOW DARE YOU.

Ok sorry I had a moment.  You speak some truth though and I understand that.  I meant no offense.  I can hum the fuck out of that theme though.

You must get those kinds of comments a lot, considering how MOS's score is just as divisive as the actual film itself, lol.

I mean no harm. MOS's score is actually fairly decent if I'm being honest. The Superman theme that Zimmer composed is good, and it grew on me after listening to it several times. I'm more disappointed that it's rarely heard in the actual film and score itself.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

You must get those kinds of comments a lot, considering how MOS's score is just as divisive as the actual film itself, lol.

I mean no harm. MOS's score is actually fairly decent if I'm being honest. The Superman theme that Zimmer composed is good, and it grew on me after listening to it several times. I'm more disappointed that it's rarely heard in the actual film and score itself.

Arcade is the bomb, just saying.  Yes, BvS blew, but I'm an unabashed MoS fan.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I quite enjoyed listening to Look To The Stars.

Yeah, you know, it's good.

I won't lie...I only listen to a handful of tracks...but the ones I do are good.

Ok on that note...KONG!  Sorry we got off track.  I blame the triple D (that sounds dirty).  Ok it's my fault.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kowhite said:

Yeah, you know, it's good.

I won't lie...I only listen to a handful of tracks...but the ones I do are good.

Ok on that note...KONG!  Sorry we got off track.  I blame the triple D (that sounds dirty).  Ok it's my fault.

That's the case with a lot of scores, even great ones. Sometimes I listen to the score in it's entirety, but a lot of times I'll just have certain themes on repeat because they're that good.

Also I always like talking about film music, so this thread getting off track because of that is a-okay with me, but we probably shouldn't drag it on for forever.

Just now, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

That's the case with a lot of scores, even great ones. Sometimes I listen to the score in it's entirety, but a lot of times I'll just have certain themes on repeat because they're that good.

Also I always like talking about film music, so this thread getting off track because of that is a-okay with me, but we probably shouldn't drag it on for forever.

Im a film score junkie.  And it's true...film scores do have that purpose...serve the film.  It doesn't always lend itself to listenable tracks, even when it's great.. But sometimes there's gold.  And other times you just love the movie.  And Other times...you just want to hear James Horner do that James Horner thing (Jay Hollywood, you know what I mean).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Im a film score junkie.  And it's true...film scores do have that purpose...serve the film.  It doesn't always lend itself to listenable tracks, even when it's great.. But sometimes there's gold.  And other times you just love the movie.  And Other times...you just want to hear James Horner do that James Horner thing (Jay Hollywood, you know what I mean).

That's what I appreciate about film composers with styles I usually recognize. When I heard the Danger Motif in The Magnificent Seven, I'll admit I got a bit teary eyed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

That's what I appreciate about film composers with styles I usually recognize. When I heard the Danger Motif in The Magnificent Seven, I'll admit I got a bit teary eyed.

James Horner is a movie scoring God.  And let's be real, just like God...yup, sometimes he repeats himself.  But it WORKS.

And I don't even believe in God...but I believe in James Horner.  Too Much Info?  Probably but whatever.  I'm in good company.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kowhite said:

James Horner is a movie scoring God.  And let's be real, just like God...yup, sometimes he repeats himself.  But it WORKS.

And I don't even believe in God...but I believe in James Horner.  Too Much Info?  Probably but whatever.  I'm in good company.

He repeated himself a lot, as do a good majority of composers, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, largely depended on the material he was pulling from. Still a great composer regardless.

15 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Terrible composer choice, Harambe deserves a great score.

Its funny, I've been taking a lot in this thread...about movie scores no less..

And I actually don't know who the composer choice is on this movie.

• Like 1