CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

23 minutes ago, Elessar said:

And what's with the 33 million votes for Kong? The movie surely compelled people to vote...

Yeah I'm not buying that number for one second. Either it's a glitch or something fishy went down.

27 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Lovely Bones was more liked than King Kong...

... according to RT's audience rating.

And what's with the 33 million votes for Kong? The movie surely compelled people to vote...

The 33m votes is a red flag that it was spammed.  The same thing happened to Spider-Man which has 34m votes with a 67%

To put the number of votes into perspective The Dark Knight has less than 2m votes

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Lovely Bones was more liked than King Kong...

... according to RT's audience rating.

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The 33m votes is a red flag that it was spammed.  The same thing happened to Spider-Man which has 34m votes with a 67%

To put the number of votes into perspective The Dark Knight has less than 2m votes

There's a glitch for films released in 2005 or earlier that causes to number of voters to exceed 33 million. In my mind, that makes the calculation for average rating and score fundamentally suspect. That begin said, there are admittedly other films with 33M+ votes that don't have an unreasonably low rating and score. For example, Finding Nemo has 34M votes with an average rating of 3.9 and score of 86%, which is certainly lower than recent well-loved films, but could possibly be in line with the natural drop in scores over time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

What happened to the obligatory "lol one random guy says it sucks ahead of release so it must be true?!lolololololol Chillax gullible folks, it's meaningless internet noise because moviemaking is not objective mkay!!" stance?

:qotd:

I was asking to sate my curiosity, and not because I doubt anybody.

There's been no news about screenings except for surprise showings from BNAT and similar events.

1 hour ago, NoobSaibot said:

I was asking to sate my curiosity, and not because I doubt anybody.

There's been no news about screenings except for surprise showings from BNAT and similar events.

Actually I kinda sided with you. On this board, we're told to doubt and sometimes get scolded if we give too much credits to pre-release and rumoring buzz but now everyone is taking that negative early buzz at face value so it seems funny how arbitrary that attitude seems whereas in every other threads "Never trust pre-release negativity for granted" is a rule set in stone. (I'm told the insider is "one of us" so we're all supposed to take it as gospel and dispels that mantra...Even if this movie is a mess behind the scenes, Suicide Squad and Rogue One just proved that doesn't doom BO prospects so wait & see)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

On 1/27/2017 at 1:04 AM, EmpireCity said:

Not hearing good things at all from people who got to see this recently.  Production was also supposedly troubled.  

What are your sources on this? I've been following this film since it was announced and this is the first time AT ALL I'm hearing anything "negative" about the movie and as far as I know there haven't been any major screenings for people and the press hasn't seen it yet. I've looked all over Twitter for any kind of word of screenings and haven't seen a peep.

How was Production troubled exactly? Again what are the sources on this? What is this based on?

On 1/27/2017 at 0:46 AM, TalismanRing said:

The Godzilla brand is gold - in Japan.

But the 2014 Godzilla is not well loved and I don't see why King Kong coming off a decade ago well reviewed movie that did $200m+ would be in worse shape than the next Godzilla or Godzilla 2014 was coming off the travesty of the 1997 version when it opened to $90m+.

An American Godzilla franchise can be gold here. If franchises like Transformers or Fast and Furious can make money then a good American Godzilla franchise can. Hell back in the 90s the '98 American Godzilla was on track to have one of the biggest openings of all time before poor WOM torpedoed it. Plus the recent American Godzilla made more than the last 3 Star Trek movies which is another elite American franchise. Just food for thought.

Edited by AgentofMONARCH
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

What are your sources on this? I've been following this film since it was announced and this is the first time AT ALL I'm hearing anything "negative" about the movie and as far as I know there haven't been any major screenings for people. I've looked all over Twitter for any kind of word of screenings and haven't seen a peep.

How was Production troubled exactly? Again what are the sources on this? What is this based on?

An American Godzilla franchise can be gold here. If franchises like Transformers or Fast and Furious can make money then a good American Godzilla franchise can. Hell back in the 90s the '98 American Godzilla was on track to have one of the biggest openings of all time before poor WOM torpedoed it. Plus the recent American Godzilla made more than the last 3 Star Trek movies which is another elite American franchise. Just food for thought.

Welcome to the boards!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

What are your sources on this? I've been following this film since it was announced and this is the first time AT ALL I'm hearing anything "negative" about the movie and as far as I know there haven't been any major screenings for people and the press hasn't seen it yet. I've looked all over Twitter for any kind of word of screenings and haven't seen a peep.

He's a studio insider who has been right about multiple information regarding the quality of films in the past (most recently, Passengers).  He knows his shit.

16 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

He's a studio insider who has been right about multiple information regarding the quality of films in the past (most recently, Passengers).  He knows his shit.

Lots of people are insiders...doesn't mean they are always right. 

Again I want sources and examples. Neither of which have been provided.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

Empirecity knows his stuff though and is a tracking expert. BTW welcome to the boards and glad to meet new members.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

You're right, it doesn't mean he's always 100% correct.  However, time and time again he's been right about this shit.  It's not like this is some nobody on Twitter claiming this.  He's had a history of being right before, so automatically discounting it would be...well...stupid.

If you want sources, I hate to tell you, but he is a source.  No matter what you think or not.

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

You're right, it doesn't mean he's always 100% correct.  However, time and time again he's been right about this shit.  It's not like this is some nobody on Twitter claiming this.  He's had a history of being right before, so automatically discounting it would be...well...stupid.

If you want sources, I hate to tell you, but he is a source.  No matter what you think or not.

No no he's not a source. Somebody on a message board is not a credible source. Is he a journalist? Does he run a website? What makes him an insider? What are all these things he's supposedly been right on? I have every reason to be skeptical.

He posts about hearing from people the movie is not good and then goes on to claim it had troubles behind the scenes. Okay well who are these people? What's their taste in movies? How much of it not being a good movie is opinion instead of fact? What kind of production troubles were there and over what? This forum is the first and only place I've heard of such thing so if there were problems and issues why hasn't anyplace else picked up on it? 

6 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

No no he's not a source. Somebody on a message board is not a credible source. Is he a journalist? Does he run a website? What makes him an insider? What are all these things he's supposedly been right on? I have every reason to be skeptical.

He posts about hearing from people the movie is not good and then goes on to claim it had troubles behind the scenes. Okay well who are these people? What's their taste in movies? How much of it not being a good movie is opinion instead of fact? What kind of production troubles were there and over what? This forum is the first and only place I've heard of such thing so if there were problems and issues why hasn't anyplace else picked up on it? 

If he has close ties in the industry, that counts for something.

I asked similar questions earlier, but rather than question the person who's been around the forums and developed a good reputation in the community, I asked how people were seeing the movie, knowing that no news of pre-screenings had filtered through official sources.

It's nothing to get upset over. I'm not allowing it to affect me. If the movie had problems, they aren't obvious at this point in time. It's best to wait for the film and see whether the product was ultimately good or not.

Edited by NoobSaibot
Grammar and spelling errors abound.

Just now, AgentofMONARCH said:

He has proved himself as an insider by being able to calculate the exact numbers a film will gross on a particular day (RTH (another insider) is more well known for posting those numbers early but EC has done it as well).  Also, hate to break it to you, but the trades can be complete shit sometimes.  Have you fucking seen Deadline?  They predict the most outlandish numbers for movies and yet are somehow "respectable."

Most studios also aren't going to openly talk about issues for one of their tent poles, and I imagine most trades would want to remain on their good side.  It's not that hard to work from the inside and know exactly what the studio's are doing behind the scenes that the nameless execs won't tell you.

As for whether or not he's a veritable source, just look through some of his post history and you'll find quite a bit of shit he was right on.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

He has proved himself as an insider by being able to calculate the exact numbers a film will gross on a particular day (RTH (another insider) is more well known for posting those numbers early but EC has done it as well).  Also, hate to break it to you, but the trades can be complete shit sometimes.  Have you fucking seen Deadline?  They predict the most outlandish numbers for movies and yet are somehow "respectable."

Most studios also aren't going to openly talk about issues for one of their tent poles, and I imagine most trades would want to remain on their good side.  It's not that hard to work from the inside and know exactly what the studio's are doing behind the scenes that the nameless execs won't tell you.

As for whether or not he's a veritable source, just look through some of his post history and you'll find quite a bit of shit he was right on.

Being able to calculate the number a movie will make at the BO on a select day does not automatically make someone an insider on movie studios. Again I keep asking who are these people claiming the movie is no good?

Studios don't have to openly discuss stuff for issues to leak out one way or another OR the signs usually show up with changes in directors/writers etc. Have you seen the clusterfuck the DC universe has turned into? If a movie is going through major problems then the signs are usually there. There's been nothing to suggest Kong had any major problems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

Being able to calculate the number a movie will make at the BO on a select day does not automatically make someone an insider on movie studios. Again I keep asking who are these people claiming the movie is no good?

Studios don't have to openly discuss stuff for issues to leak out one way or another OR the signs usually show up with changes in directors/writers etc. Have you seen the clusterfuck the DC universe has turned into? If a movie is going through major problems then the signs are usually there. There's been nothing to suggest Kong had any major problems.

Uh, except he's fucking dead accurate on the number before estimates come out?  Like every time?  So, he's just really good at predicting box office numbers down to the exact decimal point?  Yeah, that's not a coincidence.

And yeah, there hadn't been anything to suggest Kong had major problems either.  Neither did BvS, or Suicide Squad, etc.  They seemed to have had smooth productions until a few days out before release, where a LOT was revealed.

• Like 2