CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

On 1/20/2017 at 7:55 PM, cookie said:

BO.com only predicts $35m OW :sadben:

:huh:

They lowered it from $40m which I already thought was low.

The first trailer was so good and though I liked the second one the marketing seems to have lost instead of gained momentum.

I blame the copious use of John C Reilly as "comic relief". 

Edited by TalismanRing

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

The first trailer was so good and though I liked the second one the marketing seems to have lost instead of gained momentum.

King Kong is also a damaged brand. The franchise has three films that share the same plot and story, one bad sequel, one cash-in sequel, and two Japanese made films that didn't have as far of a reach as their American counterparts.

In 5 out of 7 films, King Kong dies.

The formula has been predictable for so long that people expect to see the same movie. This is the one that will break that trend and offer something different. For that reason, it will be a pity if this is the one that ends up flopping.

Edited by NoobSaibot
Decided to be considerate and add a spoiler tag despite the fact that many of these films are old.

Gotta believe this will do decent. If it doesn't, there probably won't be any "MonsterVerse" films beyond Godzilla vs Kong.

There is merchandise, comic book tie ins to help out anything that my get lost at the box office. It is kind of sandwiched in between two big films.

12 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I thought Reilly was great. "We're all gonna die together!" cracks me up every time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrPink said:

How can we be cursed when we just powah'ed Rogue One to 1 billion? We are one with the Force, and the Force is with us.

Good point. But then, aside from Rogue One though...

14 minutes ago, MrPink said:

How did Star Trek Beyond do there? :qotd:

:kitschjob:

That bombed everywhere, whatever.

HACKSAW RIDGE WAS HUGE. TOM CRUISE AND TOM HANKS VEHICLES WERE HUGE. WE RESPECT GOOD MOVIES AND MOVIE STARS.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

That bombed everywhere, whatever.

HACKSAW RIDGE WAS HUGE. TOM CRUISE AND TOM HANKS VEHICLES WERE HUGE. WE RESPECT GOOD MOVIES AND MOVIE STARS.

How did Arrival, written by Ted Chiang do? :kitschjob:

• Like 1