baumer

Wknd Estimates: Godzilla - 93.2M

The first time I saw the trailer with a packed theater, it was met with snickers.  I think a lot of people, including me, thought, "Oh boy, another Godzilla movie...what a joke."  

But the marketing was outstanding.  The trailers really made it an event film.

That Godzilla roar sold those trailers...

• Like 3

But the marketing was outstanding.  The trailers really made it an event film.

Yup, say what you will about the film, the marketing made the film stand out in this dismal summer. I hope they promote whoever did the marketing at WB/Legendary. 

• Like 3

Saw Godzilla on Thursday night in IMAX. 10pm screening, almost completely sold out when I got to the ticket window (only got a great seat because someone returned theirs not 5 minutes before I got there). I loved it, the crowd absolutely loved it. The theater actually added another screening @ 1am.I'd heard something in the range of $70 million. I never expected $90+.

• Like 12

38.53 means 100m OW is a possibility and I'd say it's a near lock to open above TASM2.

This is 100,000,000,000,000% locked to open higher than ASM2.

• Like 7

I wonder if the Godzilla franchise could become the new Transformers Box office speaking. (Not quality speaking)

Would have been similar OW if TF opened on a Friday.

Yup, say what you will about the film, the marketing made the film stand out in this dismal summer. I hope they promote whoever did the marketing at WB/Legendary. 

The ominous music, Cranston's terrified but angry warning to us all about sending us back to the stone age, the skydiving with red flares, the husband telling his wife that he won't be back for quite a while and her teary reaction, the roar, it all made for a perfect tonic.  

• Like 4

Saw Godzilla on Thursday night in IMAX. 10pm screening, almost completely sold out when I got to the ticket window (only got a great seat because someone returned theirs not 5 minutes before I got there). I loved it, the crowd absolutely loved it. The theater actually added another screening @ 1am.I'd heard something in the range of $70 million. I never expected $90+.

I tempted to go today at 4:15 showing, but I have no one to go with.  :(

Never been to a movie theater alone.

Edited by #ED
  • Like 1

I'm heading to see TOW again tonight.  Taking a female friend who hasn't been the movies in about a year.  She asked me what's good.  I said, "Not Godzilla."  :)

• Like 2

It should do 250m+ with this OW, which means it will be bigger than TF4 ...... someone's dream just came true.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet.  

• Like 2