baumer

Wknd Estimates: Godzilla - 93.2M

I predicted $75M after seeing it. Some very good monster mash scenes, and epic destruction, all very well constructed and well shot by director Andrews. But the movie is lacking in a typical action movie beats. Although I prefer atmosphere, suspense, and tension rather than the cheesy wall-to-wall action of GODZILLA '98, the new movie could use a little bit more action-movie pulse.

I predicted $84M and that was more of a hope than an educated guess.

Still, so far we have seen nothing completely obliterate peoples expectations like we had with frozen, THG, Avengers, Ted, Gravity, we're the millers, Skyfall etc. TASM 2 grossing under 200M is the biggest surprise this year so far imo.

Still, so far we have seen nothing completely obliterate peoples expectations like we had with frozen, THG, Avengers, Ted, Gravity, we're the millers, Skyfall etc. TASM 2 grossing under 200M is the biggest surprise this year so far imo.

If you want to go that path, BKB predicted 600M+ for Avengers and THG had giant predictions being thrown in a few days before it opened. 

Edited by CJohn

Okay so you have shocking opening weekends that are under-predicted by 25+ m and you have surprising opening weekends that were under-predicted by 15+ m.Can we agree on that? :)
  • Like 1

Godzilla potentially having bigger OW than Cap2 and TASM is a big surprise.Not sure where you are getting at.If someone like Baumer and Shawn, who's been here way longer than me, are surprised, then I know what this opening means.

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/13819-godzilla-ow-over-78421500-club-godzilla-1998-ow-adjusted/Godzilla over 78M OW club, 28 people were In, 13 were out. That's a high ratio right there ;)

You can't always judge things from forums like this that are full of movie geeks and fanboys.  If you asked most people who work in the movie industry, i bet the vast majority of them wouldn't of thought Godzilla would get anywhere close to a $95mil opening weekend.

I have to agree, that a lot of movie fans here thought Godzilla would do well, with most predicting in the range of 70-85M OW. Very few thought that Godzilla could get a 95-100M OW, so that is definitely surprising. Even most of the big Godzilla fans weren't predicting that high.

Either way though this is great. I can't wait for next weekend to see how hard Days of Future Past will hit TASM2.

• Like 1

If you want to go that path, BKB predicted 600M+ for Avengers and THG had giant predictions being thrown in a few days before it opened.

No - one was predicting 150m OW for THG and BKB is notorious for predicting massive numbers for films he's excited for, and he's just one person lol Edited by Jessie