The Panda

Is it ethical to walk out of movies and ask for refunds?

I saw this brought up recently and it actually provoked my thoughts a bit, there are a lot of people who talk about walking out of movies in theaters like they are high and mighty individuals who deserve to be praised.

It's one thing if a movie is to much for you to handle and you leave the room, I am talking about people who walk out as if it's their moral obligation and ask for refunds for the movie they payed to see.  The reason I am wondering if it's really ethical to not only leave like a self-righteous bastard, but then have the audacity to ask for a refund, why?

1.You have all the materials in the world, through online sources, word of mouth, and the little MPAA rating on the movie to know the material that's going to be in the film.  If you go into Neighbors and you are shocked that there is profane content then it's partially your fault for not taking a minute to check its rating and why it's rated that.

2.Walking out during a movie and asking for a refund is pretty much saying you think you deserve a free preview of the movie and if you don't like what you see you deserve to rob the theater of their service.  Sure you weren't satisfied with the film, but unless something happened in the theater that would have been a distraction from the movie (lights going up randomly, an obnoxious person not being asked to leave or quiet down, etc.)  it's not the theaters fault, so they shouldn't have to pay you back.  With reviews and all of the parent guides that are out there, there is enough sources to make sure you aren't going into a movie that will repulse you, if choose not to access them and want to leave the movie that's fine I guess, but it isn't ethical to ask for a refund.

The entire idea of refunds for the sole reason of a person walking out of a movie because they didn't like the movie is an extremely self-entitled idea.  Not only is it annoying to the audience if you make a big bold exit to show off that you didn't like the movie instead of simply leaving the theater quietly and avoiding being an obstruction of view, it's also bad for the theater you went to to have to give up money because you didn't like the quality of something they had no control over.  

If you don't like it, suck it up and learn from it, but don't cause pain to the audience or the theater managers, it's not their fault.

• Like 15

I've only done this once. I walked out of Mortal Kombat 2 within a half hour and merely asked if I could change my ticket to a better film. They were happy to change my ticket to The Rainmaker and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 8

I imagine you're preaching to the choir with this. I'm sure the vast majority of us agree that paying for a ticket merely grants you the privilege of viewing the film, it does not guarantee that you'll enjoy it.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 17

I've only done this once. I walked out of Mortal Kombat 2 within a half hour and merely asked if I could change my ticket to a better film. They were happy to change my ticket to The Rainmaker and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

If it's early enough exchanging your ticket for a new one is better than asking for a refund since you payed your entry, but that can easily be abused where you walk out of a movie 75% done and get a ticket for a new one.

• Like 6

If it's early enough exchanging your ticket for a new one is better than asking for a refund since you payed your entry, but that can easily be abused where you walk out of a movie 75% done and get a ticket for a new one.

I'm sure they have a time limit (not a fixed one, but a fluid and practical one).As for refunds: no, it's not ok. As somebody else said: when you pay, you pay for the privilege to watch, not the guarantee to enjoy the film. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree that it is wrong to ask for a refund for a movie.

It is not the theaters fault you either didn't like the movie or were to dumb to research what it was really about(& what was in it content wise). 

• Like 5

I've never walked out of a movie. I even sat through The Last Airbender in its entirety. I paid the ticket, I wasted my money, no point in complaining.

I did the same. There have been many other shitty movies I have paid tickets for and I watched all of them in their entirety.

I would never walk out of a movie. 

• Like 2

I can't recall ever walking out during a movie, but I have asked for a refund once.  There was no sound for the first 10 or so minutes when I watched Gladiator for the first time.  The movie theater gave us gift certificates so we were able to come back and watch it again with sound that time :)

Edited by Punishment
  • Like 2

I walked out once when I saw the harry hill movie (like most of the people who were watching that tripe). I didn't ask for a refund and just left

Edited by 10 Things I Hate About You

I walked out of Pulp Fiction. But by that time I had seen it 5 times and needed to kill an hour before I had to be somewhere else.But no you shouldn't be able to ask for a refund. After all if you go to a sporting event and you're team plays bad you don't get your money back

Edited by DAR

I walked out of a movie once.  It was Maid to Order, but I never thought of asking for a refund.  I just played video games until the other people were done watching

I've only once asked for a refund. And it had nothing to do with the quality of the movie. I think it was for The Wolverine last year. I sat down to view it and got a text from my parents about lunch happening right as it started. The theater was cool refunding me for that, though I'd have been happy just getting a voucher for another ticket.

(I think I saw the movie a week later or something.)