#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Avatar was such a novelty that no combined films has touched 2 billion WW, let alone 2.7 billion, since it came out.  Hell, Avengers, and TDKR combined WW, with expanded markets, still didn't make more than Avatar.  

• Like 1

It's on the same page where me and Tele start discussing.

I also caught your edit. Don't be such a smart ass posting shady gifs as if I'm 5-year old predicting 100 million global total for Avatar 2, I won't be a smart ass towards you. Very simple.

Hey look dude, don't start patronizing me.  You were being a total jerk and I called you on it.  So I edited my post.  And pardon me all over the place if I don't read every one of your posts.

Look, if you are going strictly by Kal, then you're barking up the wrong tree.  He is not exactly known for his muted box office predictions.  

And if you want to act like a 5 year old, you'll get treated like one.  

yes, if you ask kal,Superman001, on 24 May 2014 - 4:52 PM, said:Rain storms heating the east side and flooding, is hurting more people showing up for Godzilla and Xmen my friend. Its not all about that Godzilla is not liked. LOL.. Your not paying attention to the news are you now.Xmen would have a 50-60 million dollar day and Godzilla would have proably have had a 22-25M day if not for the weather.

That is a special kind of crazy right there.
  • Like 2

No way does Avatar's sequel even approach what it did domestically. Even ignoring the novelty of the impressive 3D effects that is now non-existent and crazy seven year wait, the WOM on that movie didn't last at all. Within like a year and a half of it releasing most people seemed to be hopping on the "eh, it was okay" bandwagon, and that effect's only grown since then. Unless the movie's got some holograms or crazy technological shit to hook everyone back in, I'd say it won't even sniff 500M.

Lol why do people assume that the GA have gotten less fond of Avatar? If it was just a gimmick then why is it the highest grossing blueray seller of all time seeing as very few people have 3d tvs? People don't sit through a 2 and a half hour gimmick and give off positive WOM if they didn't like the story that much.
  • Like 1

You know what it was said a 400M movie couldn't do it, now its a 500M, next a 600M are you (everyone) going to ever be satisfied? You forget T2 that had a HUGE increase over T1 and I forget how long was that wait.

Bet on it?

T1 didn't set box office records.  It was a niche film that caught on with HV.  Big difference.

• Like 3

Don't you Wire me.

I understand that. Like, bet what? That's a long time for a bet. I could be dead in two and a half years. Or I might just not come here anymore. And I probably wouldn't be horribly ashamed in the incident that you won, since I would have already been exposed to the incredible marketing and hype and probably would've known I was wrong long in advance. Especially considering that there really isn't any empirical data to show whether or not audience interest in Avatar has dropped tremendously like I say it has.

But I'll listen. What's your proposal for this bet?

I will take it to bet thread. Can bet Sigs, Avatar, names or all three. Thats why you would be ashamed. You have to be careful to make wild calls like that cause I will call you out on them.

Bet O/U 500M like I posted earlier.

I've never watched Avatar.

Ditto and I've never watched The Titanic all the way through.  I get bored then feel guilty for hoping the ship sinks sooner then turn it off.

My favorite Cameron is The Terminator - one of his lowest grossers but  there's no debating the man has the Midas touch.

But that's just it. It was a novelty. I don't see it being a novelty the second time around unless they do something really crazy. But leave it to Cameron to do just that.

Bingo. I was around for that insanity. I saw the movie like four times and showed it to all my family members and everyone at school was crazy about it. I'm just saying (and there's no real way for me to prove this) that the movie didn't really hold up long term and within a couple years, where in March of 2010 everyone was crazy about it, every time I've heard Avatar be mentioned it wasn't in a "how about that amazing Avatar?" sort of way. I believe its run was a phenomenon that can't be replicated. I think The Avengers can maybe pull it off because it wasn't so much a phenomenon as a straight-up monster hit.

Watched half of X3 yesterday before I went off to see DOFP again. Just finished watching the other half of X3.That's all I've got to say about that.

I am watching X-Men Origins right now...X3 is a classic compared to this piece of mess...

• Like 1

T1 didn't set box office records.  It was a niche film that caught on with HV.  Big difference.

What difference Cameron made a sequel that jumped 434% so maybe not 434 for Avatar, but an increase yes. He knows how to make movies that audiences flock to.

Bingo. I was around for that insanity. I saw the movie like four times and showed it to all my family members and everyone at school was crazy about it. I'm just saying (and there's no real way for me to prove this) that the movie didn't really hold up long term and within a couple years, where in March of 2010 everyone was crazy about it, every time I've heard Avatar be mentioned it wasn't in a "how about that amazing Avatar?" sort of way. I believe its run was a phenomenon that can't be replicated. I think The Avengers can maybe pull it off because it wasn't so much a phenomenon as a straight-up monster hit.

If there was ever a film that was a novelty, it was Avengers, and I'm a massive Avengers fan, but that movie has novelty written all over it in black magic marker.

• Like 1

What difference Cameron made a sequel that jumped 434% so maybe not 434 for Avatar, but an increase yes. He knows how to make movies that audiences flock to.

But Terminator was discovered on HV for the post part.  He didn't take a record breaking gross and make it bigger the second time.  That's what you are expecting him to do this time.  I don't think that will happen.

• Like 1

Ooh, E, you should check it out. It's a fun movie with a rockin' heroine. :)

It's one of James Cameron's strong suits compared to alot of the other directors...he always has a strong female lead...Terminator 1/2, Aliens, Avatar...hell even True Lies had a pretty strong female character...

• Like 3

But Terminator was discovered on HV for the post part.  He didn't take a record breaking gross and make it bigger the second time.  That's what you are expecting him to do this time.  I don't think that will happen.

I am saying, thought I said before, he knows how to make movies and T2 proved he does in terms of jumps.

Edited by Neo