#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

It does have a director. Tull has already said the plan is for Edwards to do it after his SW movie, and they had always planned for him to do another movie between Godzillas.

Which is smart IMO. The worst thing they can do is get the sequel out within 2 years.

maybe they should change the director and writing team.I wonder how they can make Godzilla 2 interesting. It has no novelty factor.

That's like saying WB should've switched the creative team on BATMAN BEGINS because how could they make the sequel interesting?

So it's not just the films opening in the 90-100 range and looking at final totals in the low-to-mid 200s. But they're also looking at WW totals somewhere between 500 and 800m.

How many more of these are we going to see this year? I gotta admit, I kinda love the consistency.

That's like saying WB should've switched the creative team on BATMAN BEGINS because how could they make the sequel interesting?

not comparable at all really. Batman Begins was definitely much more well received and of course they had a perfect way to make the sequel more interesting. Add Batman arch nemesis, The Joker.  I can't see what you can do with a Godzilla sequel, maybe add like five monsters and aliens or something

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

Only just realized that Fox hasn't had a $200m domestic grosser or a $650m WW grosser since Avatar. They should have three this summer alone.

How much did Ice Age make? Is that Fox?

not comparable at all really. Batman Begins was definitely much more well received and of course they had a perfect way to make the sequel more interesting. Add Batman arch nemesis, The Joker. 

Posted Image

I still remember that scene in Batman Begins in theatre...everyone went hell yes...

• Like 1

I wonder how they can make Godzilla 2 interesting. It has no novelty factor. 

They could start by introducing some interesting characters in the previews already. Bring a cool, scary monster into the mix (since doing Godzilla as a pure horror movie is pointless now unless it's a reboot). Do it in the same arresting visual style but be more honest about what the movie really is. Make sure there's no other big movie opening in its second weekend. And before doing all of that, write a decent fucking script. Otherwise I think it's likely that Godzilla 2 won't match the first one in the BO.

Another thing that may be causing bad WOM is the movie being completely different from what it was seen in the marketing.

The head honchos at WB are basically the kings of misleading marketing.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Only just realized that Fox hasn't had a $200m domestic grosser or a $650m WW grosser since Avatar. They should have three this summer alone.

Ice Age 2012

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $161,321,843  18.4%Foreign:  $715,922,939  81.6% = Worldwide:  $877,244,782  
  • Like 4

Whatever. I'm tired of arguing about it. Regardless. The number speaks for itself.

I agree, the number is incredible and a stunning achievement. It is just difficult to legitimately discuss Cap 2‘s performance without considering TA. For example, in a list of sequels that have the biggest improvement over its processor, Cap should have an asterisk. Still an amazing performance regardless.

not comparable at all really. Batman Begins was definitely much more well received and of course they had a perfect way to make the sequel more interesting. Add Batman arch nemesis, The Joker. I can't see what you can do with a Godzilla sequel, maybe add like five monsters and aliens or something

My point is, for genre fans, Godzilla has plenty of infamous heroes and villains to introduce.

I agree, the number is incredible and a stunning achievement. It is just difficult to legitimately discuss Cap 2‘s performance without considering TA. For example, in a list of sequels that have the biggest improvement over its processor, Cap should have an asterisk. Still an amazing performance regardless.

An asterisk? That's going too far. :lol:

My point is, for genre fans, Godzilla has plenty of infamous heroes and villains to introduce.

well yeah it is clear genre fans are pleased with this movie but General audiences are more mixed Godzilla 2 will no doubt go down both domestically and probably overseas as well despite the budget being higher

maybe they should add The Rock

• Like 2

well yeah it is clear genre fans are pleased with this movie but General audiences are more mixed Godzilla 2 will no doubt go down both domestically and probably overseas as well despite the budget being higher

maybe they should add The Rock

They should add Sharlto Copley in a mo-cap performance as Godzilla himself :D