Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

Maleficent is falling behind fast, maybe we should tamp expectations down into the 60s.

Maleficent should have a much stronger Saturday and Sunday compared to Alice. 75-80m still seems reasonable. Oz increased 37% on Saturday while Alice a meager 8%

Edited by eXtacy

Rth knows we still love him. spatula may be Rosie Huntington-Whitely but Rth will always be our Megan Fox

Can't wait for the Nicola Peltz. What is he going to do, give us numbers before the weekend even happens?

• Like 1

5:00pm Eastern Update:

Maleficent - 4.38

DOFP - 1.23

A Million Ways - 0.76

Reference Points:

Oz - 4.32

Alice- 9.2

Fast 6 (2nd Friday) - 0.93

:unsure:

5:00pm Eastern Update:

Maleficent - 4.38

DOFP - 1.23

A Million Ways - 0.76

Reference Points:

Oz - 4.32

Alice- 9.2

Fast 6 (2nd Friday) - 0.93

All hail spatula.

• Like 1

It's fine as a singular joke, but the jokes escalate to a point where facts get skewed. Nikki, Deadline, and Variety do the same thing we do, so I kinda defend them as well.After all, reporting info that's being handed down is a far better option than just making shit up. I'm sure everyone here would agree on that much. :)

Oh I agree 100%, but we have one better then that now with spatula giving us current actual gross numbers for films. Like I said times have changed.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I definitely don't blame the messenger, but you know how this stuff works as well as anyone. I wouldn't report anything coming from the studio propaganda puppets on Friday afternoon. A lot of them are probably just trying to make their bosses happy before they go home Friday evening.

This is how stuff like Iron Man 2's opening letdown happens. $128m is a great opening, but it looked like a disaster after Paramount's stooges were telling anyone and everyone who would listen on Friday that it would possibly set a new weekend record at $160m.

Of course. I absolutely agree. But I view it the same way I view church crowds who go out to eat after Sunday worship: some of them complain that people shouldn't be working on a Sunday, yet they have no problem using the services those employees offer. What if every restaurant was closed on Sundays? Some of those same people would complain about not having anywhere to eat.

The same applies to box office. If no one reported early numbers, box office fans like us would be complaining that there are no numbers. And when there are early numbers, everyone complains they're inaccurate. It's a lose-lose situation.

Everyone is just having a bit of fun here. Always good to remember that early Friday estimates are almost never accurate - from any site. Everyone here just needs to have some fun sometimes (as evidenced by the DeHaan love that happened on Wednesday).

• Like 4

It's fine as a singular joke, but the jokes escalate to a point where facts get skewed. Nikki, Deadline, and Variety do the same thing we do, so I kinda defend them as well.

After all, reporting info that's being handed down is a far better option than just making shit up. I'm sure everyone here would agree on that much. :)

I'm pretty sure the usual suspects here(me included) would not really be pissed if you had made that update. We all know you're just reporting, not extrapolating from the air. ;)

• Like 2

There is a chat thing going on Skype? Why was I never invited?  :ph34r:

There was a no mods rule. However, that rule must be broken for obvious reasons.  :ph34r:

• Like 3

It's fine as a singular joke, but the jokes escalate to a point where facts get skewed. Nikki, Deadline, and Variety do the same thing we do, so I kinda defend them as well.

After all, reporting info that's being handed down is a far better option than just making shit up. I'm sure everyone here would agree on that much. :)

Oh but of course!

• Like 1