Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

I wouldn't have been happy about this drop if X-Men fanboys weren't tearing up Godzilla last week. 

Well, Godzilla is still pretty crap, but if it makes you happier... ;)

Still DOFP looking much better OS in terms of legs than Godzilla.  :P

There is a good chance that TASM2 fails $200m DOM

If it makes less than $205m, its the steepest decent for a Spidey yet

Never the less will the series be remembered for the landmarks it set: first OW over $100m, almost 3 yeartoppers -

or will it be remembered as the series, where every sequel made less than its predecessor and by a lot:

-30m

-37m

-64m

-60m ?

-50m ??

-40m  ???

We'll see. But it'll finish near enough, in any case. And I think those were the most reasonable expectations pre-opening. It's that gigantic opening that made the expectations go sky-high.

had it done 75m ow and 185m dom, it would have claimed a huge victory.

93m/195m seems disappointing now.

Edited by a2k

May 2007 was the must see must see Mays. All those films did very well. So this may has nothing to do with competition. There's is always a competition in the summertime.

They also had abysmal legs compared to their predecessors.

I am afraid of seeing EoT numbers next weekend  :unsure:

WB will have no one to blame but themselves if it doesn't do well. With proven star and quality material on their hands, the marketing has been absolutely horrible. Just compare it to how sucesful Disney sold Malf, just bad job WB

There is a good chance that TASM2 fails $200m DOM

If it makes less than $205m, its the steepest decent for a Spidey yet

Never the less will the series be remembered for the landmarks it set: first OW over $100m, almost 3 yeartoppers -

or will it be remembered as the series, where every sequel made less than its predecessor and by a lot:

-30m

-37m

-64m

-60m ?

-50m ??

-40m  ???

I think it may see a disconnect, with the first three remembered separately. That would be reinforced by the reboot. Had it been a timeline continuation, it would be different. But then, I expect the numbers would have been different as well.

WB will have no one to blame but themselves if it doesn't do well. With proven star and quality material on their hands, the marketing has been absolutely horrible. Just compare it to how sucesful Disney sold Malf, just bad job WB

Thing is...I loved the EoT trailers. But I just didn't SEE them. I don't know if that was the case anywhere else, though. The marketing material I've seen has been strong, but it hasn't been visible, IMO. I don't know how WB dropped the ball like this. They usually are in the front, in terms of marketing strategies. Look no further than Godzilla for proof.

I don't understand why DOFP has dropped so huge. Can anyone explain this to me? Is the X-Men brand really not that great?

It's difficult to explain. That's the point - even with a good product, legs are bad. As I said before, I think we'll see with Apocalypse if it's a brand that can't break out domestically. If that doesn't do it, nothing from the franchise will.

I don't understand why DOFP has dropped so huge. Can anyone explain this to me? Is the X-Men brand really not that great?

Unfortunately at this point X-Men franchise is frontloaded as hell, no matter the quality. Unlike Marvel movies that buck this trend, TA's 2nd weekend is still shocking to me. In this frontloaded age, it only dropped freaking 50% after opening 207M+.  :o  :D

• Like 1

I think it may see a disconnect, with the first three remembered separately. That would be reinforced by the reboot. Had it been a timeline continuation, it would be different. But then, I expect the numbers would have been different as well.

yes maybe, but there are 7 movies in 16 years, that is about 1 movie every other year and then there will be years that nobody touches that property, even Disney would not dare to do that- so a lot of time to remember 7 Spider-Man movies

Sorry, I'm new at this, but do those numbers mean DOFP won't end up making money in the end? Or is it too soon to tell?  :huh:

It'll finish with 650 million+ Worldwide in its theatrical run. We don't have exact details regarding the cost, but it'll end up making more than enough money for Fox when all is said and done.

Edited by reddevil18
  • Like 1

Marketing didn't seem too outrageous, I'm sure this will do well on home video considering passionate fanbase and reception among fans. X-Men will be fine.

I'm going to a 2D RPX today to go see it.

Unfortunately at this point X-Men franchise is frontloaded as hell, no matter the quality. Unlike Marvel movies that buck this trend, TA's 2nd weekend is still shocking to me. In this frontloaded age, it only dropped freaking 50% after opening 207M+.  :o  :D

Well, come on. Let's not wax poetic about the MCU legs. Yes, TA is amazing, because of that gigantic opening. But otherwise, it's not like they're very leggy movies. Most of them have decent legs for blockbusters. Nothing more.

It'll make a nice profit, don't worry.

It'll finish with 650 million+ Worldwide in its theatrical run. We don't have exact details regarding the cost, but it'll end up making more than enough money for Fox when all is said and done.

I see, thank you very much!  :D

• Like 1

Well, come on. Let's not wax poetic about the MCU legs. Yes, TA is amazing, because of that gigantic opening. But otherwise, it's not like they're very leggy movies. Most of them have decent legs for blockbusters. Nothing more.

Well look who's back!