Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

Did X-Men really perform that great though? I would have hated to see what it would have done on a normal weekend.

It performed great in comparison to it's recent series outing with openings in the $50s.  It underperformed only to those who expected it to match it's series highs from 8 years ago.

I would not be soo sad by X-men numbers.

DOFP will be well watched comic book movie after theaters and always be on tv and such like X2. 

DOFP is looking at 230/500/730M so most fanbase needs to get over the 65% drop it'll have this weekend.  ;)  :D

• Like 1

I actualy bought the same set when the wolverine was released at Walmart for $29... Blew my mind how cheap it was.

It's crazy cheap.  I'm tempted except I hate or am bored by about half of those and I already own a couple on DVD.  I also see MOS is $12.99 on Blu Ray/DVD/Digital - and I'd be tempted except I've seen it.   B)

• Like 1

lol, BO.com had 15M and 48-50M weekend for DOFP and now it's in the complete gutter at 9.3M and maybe 30-31M. How the fuck do you miss a movie by nearly 6M on it's 2nd Friday? 

:WHATanabe:

Yep, just like I said yesterday. This is even worse than IM2, which went from 160 down to 128 (20% drop). We're looking at nearly a 40% drop for DOFP from the early projections. Ridiculous. It's not BO.com's fault either. It's the propagandists working for the studio.

• Like 3

Yep, just like I said yesterday. This is even worse than IM2, which went from 160 down to 128 (20% drop). We're looking at nearly a 40% drop for DOFP from the early projections. Ridiculous. It's not BO.com's fault either. It's the propagandists working for the studio.

I'm pretty sure the highest they had it was 42m, not 50m.

I'm pretty sure the highest they had it was 42m, not 50m.

They had 50M.

Meanwhile, X-Men: Days of Future Past is holding up well in Friday matinees with business on track for around $15 million today. Should that figure hold, the sequel could tally for $48-50 million this weekend.

• Like 1

This summer is strange.  These 2nd weekend drops from all the Big Boys makes it like everything is cannibalizing each other. 

Last year there was more competition and movies didn't fall this hard except Man of Steel, but that faced 151M of competition from a family movie and an action blockbuster. No movie this year faced that kind of insane competition. 

• Like 1

This summer is strange.  These 2nd weekend drops from all the Big Boys makes it like everything is cannibalizing each other. 

The Memorial Day weekend total was about $100m off of the record.  There's plenty of room in the marketplace if it's films people want to see - it really hasn't been a case of too much competition. There haven't been any huge cannibalizing type of films one on top of another.

So what happened to always underestimate your movie so it looks good when it comes above expectations? Because this looks ridiculously bad for DOFP and Fox that it dropped from 15M to 9.3M.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

So what happened to always underestimate your movie so it looks good when it comes above expectations? Because this looks ridiculously bad for DOFP and Fox that it dropped from 15M to 9.3M.  :rolleyes:

My theory is they want to impress their bosses before they go home on Friday evening. Put everyone in a good mood going into the weekend. But then what kind of questions do they get from those bosses on Monday when the numbers come in so much lower?

• Like 1

I blame the same 90M worth of people that go to cinemas every weekend, but then got lazy and either don't comeback or tell only about 40% of their family/friends to go see it.

• Like 1