Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

I guess now it comes down to:  how can Interstellar beat Hunger Games for #1 of the year!! unlike the disappointing summer, Interstellar will be the movie to go to.

This is called...setting oneself up for disapointment.
  • Like 2

Two-time Oscar winner Dame Angelina Jolie's Maleficent has survived the one-two punch of TFIOS and HTTYD2. From here on out it doesn't face much competition and it will clear 200m with ease. 

Her naysayers have been silenced. 

Posted Image

But but but Mulder and Blank said Fault and Dragon would DESTROY Malf!!!11

Dame Angelina better get UNBROKEN across 200m is all I'm sayin'.

You mean WW? I can't remember any recent Oscar drama that pulled 200m DOM. Also she's not playing in it

Edited by BobbyJohn
  • Like 1

No major animated film until Planes. Nothing else which is blanketely good for all kids. 

No competition doesn't necessarily guarantee people will show.  It's awfully early to make these kinds of calls either way but I think it's safe to say initial interest for this sequel isn't near what a lot of us thought.  

After the way most things have turned out this summer I'm more inclined to believe things will disappoint than anything.  200 is all but guaranteed for Maleficient, it will be at 165 by the end of the weekend, so I don't see how you're getting that it won't hit it.

• Like 1

I didn't think the HTTYD2 trailers were particularly good.... but then again, I didn't think the trailers for the first one were that good either.

I was always under the belief httyd 1 could have been close to 300 with a good marketing campaign. I thought the trailers weren't great but saw it anyways out of boredom and good reviews. It ended up being my all time favorite animated film.Now they are doing it all over again with D grade marketing job. There is no excuse for this one with the early reviews and reactions to be below 300. Major dropped ball by dream works/fox

Fri: 27.231M

Sat: 26.493M

Sun: 22.125M

OW: 74.849M

Second Weekend: 43.311M

Third Weekend: 30.158M

Fourth Weekend: 13.481M

Fifth Weekend: 9.895M

DOM total: 300.8M

Posted Image

Yes love your stanning, JA FEEL.

It is a beloved film, but what I'm saying is...did people adore the characters to such an extent that they are willing to pay to see them again? Look, regardless of the quality of the films, I remember when Hangover came out and audiences were crazy about the Wolf Pack. I remember when Shrek came out and people were crazy about him and Fiona. But as awesome as HTTYD was, do people even remember the characters' names? I can honestly tell you that I LOVED Dragon 1, and it was a sweet, enjoyable experience, and I don't even remember the characters' names. The only thing I vividly remember is that the girl was voice-played by America Ferrera (and I only rememebr that because I ADORE Ms.Ferrera's show Ugly Betty). All I'm saying is that a film overall can be beloved and it doesn't mean that audiences are clamoring to see "the further adventures of so-and-so."

Just wanna turn this back on you in a mindblowing way...

Who adores Jenko and Schmidt?

• Like 1

Strong hold for Maleficent. 200M should happen now and probably finishes around 220M. Angelina continues to be one of the biggest stars.  :D

So I'm really happy I reached the like quota right before this post :sick:

• Like 1