Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

I wouldn't count on great legs for HTTYD2 like the original. So far, we've yet to have a leggy movie all summer and it wouldn't shock me if we don't have one all summer. 

Don't look at other films for examples. HTTYD is a different beast entirely. 

• Like 1

I understand that. And it's a shame that the general auds have not given these amazing movies great numbers. Like, what are these people watching? I won't even say they are not appealing, because they are.

I can sort of answer that...

Captain did well so that argument does not work.

X-Men is really focused on a certain fan base.

Godzilla had initial good buzz but mixed WOM really killed off chances of it breaking out after opening weekend.

Edge of Tomorrow is a hard concept to sell.. Sci Fi films with no franchise attached are hard sells. 

Audiences want the big hyped tent pole blockbusters. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Don't look at other films for examples. HTTYD is a different beast entirely. 

Sequels always have worse legs the original so 3.6-4 multiplier is likely for HTTYD2 which is great but nowhere 5+ of the original. 

• Like 2

I understand that. And it's a shame that the general auds have not given these amazing movies great numbers. Like, what are these people watching? I won't even say they are not appealing, because they are.

Well let's face it, there's been a lack of interesting films released this year, it's been a bunch of unneeded sequels hence why we haven't even had a 300m grosser yet and it's 2014. We can't blame the GA for not giving EOT a try, it had poor marketing and it's positive reviews was a shock to most of us on here. The GA rarely check for reviews.
  • Like 2

Sequels always have worse legs the original so 3.6-4 multiplier is likely for HTTYD2 which is great but nowhere 5+ of the original. 

Nope 4+ is more likely, it has virtually no competition and it has stellar reviews. 

• Like 1

$60m for HTTYD2 is still an improvement over the first film and it'll likely outgross the domestic total and OS, they'll be a third film but I doubt this will be the next Shrek for DWA. Maybe they need to stop releasing their animated films on the same day as sequels to R rated comedies that were hits.

• Like 2

$60m for HTTYD2 is still an improvement over the first film and it'll likely outgross the domestic total and OS, they'll be a third film but I doubt this will be the next Shrek for DWA. Maybe they need to stop releasing their animated films on the same day as sequels to R rated comedies that were hits.

That......really has nothing to do with it. 22 Jump Street doesn't affect HTTYD2 at all.

• Like 2

Nope 4+ is more likely, it has virtually no competition and it has stellar reviews. 

BO doesn't always work like that. It could get 4+ but this summer has been pretty weak overall and it wouldn't shock me with sub 4 multiplier. 

• Like 1

Or after 4 years.

• Like 1

DW learned nothing after putting KFP2 against Hangover 2. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Or after 4 years.

Personally I think 4 years was fine for HTTYD2, after all making an animated movie, especially a sequel that is of quality, is not easy.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

DW learned nothing after putting KFP2 against Hangover 2. :ph34r:

KFP2/H2, MU/WWZ, HTTYD2/22JS..animations going up against R-rated seems to be calculated. Of any 2 big summer films those target opposing demographics. You have families and kids, we have everyone else...then switch!

Edit: Fail!

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1