Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

KFP2/H2, MU/WWZ, HTTYD2/22JS..animations going up against R-rated seems to be calculated. Of any 2 big summer films those target opposing demographics. You have families and kids, we have everyone else...then switch!

If only WWZ was actually R rated :(
  • Like 1

KFP2/H2, MU/WWZ, HTTYD2/22JS..animations going up against R-rated seems to be calculated. Of any 2 big summer films those target opposing demographics. You have families and kids, we have everyone else...then switch!

WWZ was PG13 and you could tell.

• Like 1

Everybody so disappointed with the early Dragon number: What exactly were you expecting from today? It'll have a nice bounce tomorrow and Sunday should remain steady because of Father's Day. Even if it doesn't hit 70M, you know the legs are gonna be good. RELAX.

• Like 5

Doesn't HTTYD 2 have a lower than the first one? This one has a $145M, the first one had a $165M, so I think Dreamworks will be very happy with results even if it doesn't gross as much as Lego Movie domestically. 

• Like 2

Wikipedia has it at $70m, $50m seems too low for a sequel, the first film was $42m. It'll be very profitable for Sony and MGM.

Wonder if this will be Sony's biggest sequel of the summer :ph34r:

• Like 1

Wikipedia has it at $70m, $50m seems too low for a sequel, the first film was $42m. It'll be very profitable for Sony and MGM.

I'd make a 'budget' joke in relation to 22 Jump Street ... but don't want to risk any spoilers. ;)

• Like 1

Wonder if this will be Sony's biggest sequel of the summer :ph34r:

Domestically, maybe but not overseas as I'm not sure if the film will increase massively since US comedies doesn't translate well, the original did $62m but I expect 22 Jump Street will crack $100m.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Doesn't HTTYD 2 have a lower than the first one? This one has a $145M, the first one had a $165M, so I think Dreamworks will be very happy with results even if it doesn't gross as much as Lego Movie domestically. 

I think it will pass The Lego Movie domestically by quite a bit - simply because of the summer weekdays and lack of any kind of Pixar movie/big summer animated movie in its way.  I'm not counting small animated movies like Boxtrolls or Planes.

• Like 4

People keep bringing up the 4 year gap. What does that matter here? An extra year for kids to watch it at home? It's not a terrible thing.

No. 4 years is really pushing it. Waiting too long was a big reason why Star Trek ID decreased DOM. Also that's why the YA film franchises releases a new movie yearly, so the attention from people won't fade. :ph34r:

• Like 3