#ED

Wknd Est: TLM2 - 30M, 22JS - 29M, HTTYD - 25.3M, JB - 13.5, [DOFP - 6.2M]

Kind of amazing how well 300: ROAE actually did. Even a week prior to release it seemed like it was destined to be the first big budget flop of the year. It ended up earning 3 times it budget WW in the end.

First movie is really well liked and became a mini home video classic, I'm not that surprised

Kind of amazing how well 300: ROAE actually did. Even a week prior to release it seemed like it was destined to be the first big budget flop of the year. It ended up earning 3 times it budget WW in the end.

Dat

Posted Image

effect

• Like 5

Yeah, Tammy will do $100M+. It's one of the very few movies this summer targeting older women (an underserved demographic), plus Melissa McCarthy is on a hot streak. I'm also thinking that the reviews will be generally positive as well (the fact WB decided to plant it on 4th of July weekend indicates a lot of confidence).

X-Men is locked to overtake TWS WW now. It has another 12-16M coming from Domestic itself. I was thinking only 10M from domestic was left, but that was before the strong hold this week.

At least I was right about the order of the three films in this respect. OS saves my butt...again.

Love the way the media is now spinning Maleficent as a big leggy hit. 

Entertainment Weekly: 

Holding off a nice run from 22 Jump Street, the romantic comedyThink Like a Man Too took the top spot this weekend with a $30 million opening. That’s great news for Kevin Hart, the gleeful star and narrator of the Steve Harvey-inspired ensemble piece, though early estimates predicted the sequel performing closer to the tune of $35 million. The sequel didn’t match the original’s 2012 opening weekend kitty of $33.6 million but the laffer also cost a modest $24 million to make. Sony predicts a strong weekday play going forward, buoyed by Man‘s strong word-of-mouth and A- CinemaScore rating.

There’s a couple of great jokes in Think Like a Man Too where the lone white fella of the Vegas bachelor party suggests the boys eschew a night of gambling and strip clubs and catch a performance of Jersey Boys instead. “It won like eight Tonys!” he says when the men recoil. Whether or not it was a pointed reference to Think Like a Man Too‘s fellow new release or not is unknown but the Clint Eastwood adaptation of Jersey Boys hit a bit of a flat note in fourth place with $13.5 million. Going forward Broadway fans and older audiences may seek it out as a break from the jarring noise of super heroes and metal machines clashing angrily into each other. (Though I’m not sure Kevin Hart and his Vegas buddies would make that bet.) But with a budget of $40 million,Jersey Boys, which earned an impressive A- CinemaScore vote, still has some major singing to do for its supper.

Meanwhile in its second week of release 22 Jump Street nearly had its teeth in the No. 1 spot. The Channing Tatum/Jonah Hill buddy comedy took in $29 million this weekend, bringing its domestic grosses past $111 million. With a second week drop of 49.8% in domestic markets, and a $14.1 million pick-up in international territories, Sony executives should be bumping chests. Also holding strong is the parent-tested, kid-approved How to Train Your Dragon 2 which pulled in $25.3 million in its second week of release. All four aforementioned movies would do well to bow down to month-old Maleficent, the Angelina Jolie phenom that dropped just 29.7% this weekend with $13 million. That fairy queen will not go gently into the good night.

• Like 2