Dav

2012 = Biggest B.O. on Record

I'm fairly, if not extremely, confident that 2012 will take down 2009's record of 10.6 billion. Just look at this lineup

Star Wars Episode 1 (3D)

The Lorax

John Carter

The Hunger Games

Titanic (3D)

The Avengers

Dark Shadows

Men in Black III

Madagascar 3

Prometheus

Brave

The Amazing Spider-Man

Ice Age 4

The Dark Knight Rises

The Bourne Legacy

Skyfall

Breaking Dawn 2

The Hobbit

Plus others I'm sure I forgot to mention. While some of the above will definately fall to live up to expectations, we could be looking at 5 300M+ films in 2012. (TDKR, The Hobbit, Breaking Dawn 2, Avengers, Spider-Man)

To me it actually looks weaker than this year's overall right now. Yes, there's five potential 300M grossers, but that only adds up to around $2 billion. Where are the other 8 going to come from?Disney, Paramount, and Fox's fall slates are very sparse right now. I don't think they'll all be able to come up with another huge tentpole to make 2012 the biggest year ever.

Edited by tribefan695

A year depends on consistency, though. If you look around the Avengers or rather late May, and around TDK, there's hardly anything opening. There's only so many movies a huge gross can make up for before it is bad overall for the market.January has to rely on these 2011 winter movies doing well because I can't see many doing well. Plus, there are a lot of schlock on the schedules already that, in the current economic climate, will just keep doing worse the worse they look. I wouldn't have imagined some of the September/October stuff this year doing as bad as they did on opening weekend but they did, so don't see why it should be any different in March for Mirror Mirror or A Thousand Words.

SWTH too :) Much more exciting year than this year, which only really had PotC, HP, TF and BD.. I can see a few movies having the potential to get to 300m apart from the big ones (brave, john carter), The lorax could do 200+, I see titanic surprising and we have madagascar 3, ice age 4 and dark shadows..

I'm not raising my hopes up. At this time last year I thought 2011 would be GINORMOUS with HP, TF3, Pirates, KFP, , BD1 and Cars 2 all over at least $300M. Alvin, Captain America, Thor, Green Lantern, and Sherlock all with at least $200M. So far this year has been filled with disappointment after disappointment, save for a few expected ones like HP, TF3, BD1 and some surprises.

And it can't just be the movies that are expected to be big that carry us to a record. There have to be some smaller films that break out as well. 2009 had Avatar but it also had The Blind Side and The Hangover, two movies no one expected to hit $250 million before their release.

Edited by tribefan695

A year depends on consistency, though. If you look around the Avengers or rather late May, and around TDK, there's hardly anything opening. There's only so many movies a huge gross can make up for before it is bad overall for the market.

+1, in terms of non-tentpole films there's barely anything. In the current schedule May has six wide releases, half of those intended blockbusters. June has ten releases, seven (or eight?) of those tentpoles and July has seven releases, three of those also big films. The outcome of these three months are dangerously reliant on the tentpoles doing very well, which is in doubt when it comes to several of them. Edited by C00k13

Although you almost seem to convince me, people say the same thing every time another year rolls around and almost every time they are wrong, so I doubt this time will change anything. Although there are so many big movies it doesn't look any better than what we had this year. So in the end 2012 may outgross 2010 and 2011 but it will not outgross 2009.

Star Wars Episode 1 (3D) 37MThe Lorax 170mJohn Carter 130mThe Hunger Games 190mTitanic (3D) 50mThe Avengers 385mDark Shadows 145mMen in Black III 140mMadagascar 3 125mPrometheus 185mBrave 220mThe Amazing Spider-Man 200mIce Age 4 180mThe Dark Knight Rises 390mThe Bourne Legacy 140mSkyfall 185mBreaking Dawn 2 295mThe Hobbit 420m