CJohn

Weekend Estimates | TF4 - 100M (Paramount sticking to 100M for the Wknd Est)| More Numbers on Page 1

Why don't they just re-release Edge of Tomorrow and How to Train Your Dragon 2 over July 4th.

Or on Hercules' weekend.

I mean, I think the people who got TASM2, Godzilla, DOFP and Transformers to $200m would like Edge, perhaps even more than these films? I don't see why it has to struggle to $100m whereas all of these get to $200m (and I liked Zilla and DOFP) it seems rather dumb that these people would intentionally say, hey let's go watch TF4, oh it was crap, oh screw you Bay/sequels/Hollywood when they just ignored EOT. 

Like, I don't know, there should be a way to save movies that didn't do well on OW and stuff. What makes TASM2 or TF4 more appealing than EOT? It's mindboggling. Are there really just that many fanboy nerds who will see their fanboy film for the sake of it and ignore an actual good action film, which is what I suppose all fanboys really want at the end of it right?

As for Dragon 2, of course it needs a re-release because it's getting super WOM and has left so much money on the table.

It's a rather simple, if we open bigger, more people will see us, and WOM spreads faster. That's more and most effective rather than having your film slowly try to convert people off a small OW.

I wish a studio would try that once. Put out a movie for a week, if it's great but it doesn't open big, just pull it completely and re-release it after a month or two.

• Like 1

Why don't they just re-release Edge of Tomorrow and How to Train Your Dragon 2 over July 4th.

Or on Hercules' weekend.

I mean, I think the people who got TASM2, Godzilla, DOFP and Transformers to $200m would like Edge, perhaps even more than these films? I don't see why it has to struggle to $100m whereas all of these get to $200m (and I liked Zilla and DOFP) it seems rather dumb that these people would intentionally say, hey let's go watch TF4, oh it was crap, oh screw you Bay/sequels/Hollywood when they just ignored EOT. 

Like, I don't know, there should be a way to save movies that didn't do well on OW and stuff. What makes TASM2 or TF4 more appealing than EOT? It's mindboggling. Are there really just that many fanboy nerds who will see their fanboy film for the sake of it and ignore an actual good action film, which is what I suppose all fanboys really want at the end of it right?

As for Dragon 2, of course it needs a re-release because it's getting super WOM and has left so much money on the table.

It's a rather simple, if we open bigger, more people will see us, and WOM spreads faster. That's more and most effective rather than having your film slowly try to convert people off a small OW.

I wish a studio would try that once. Put out a movie for a week, if it's great but it doesn't open big, just pull it completely and re-release it after a month or two.

The GA is more the problem here then the studios. 

• Like 1

I think summer 2016 looks incredibly strong, too.

Summer 2016 is our best chance at topping summer 2013 in attendance 

Captain America 3

Batman vs. Superman

X-Men - Apocalypse

Finding Dory

Sausage Party 

Tarzan

Doctor Strange (it's unofficially the July 2016 release  ;) )

Untitled Planet of the Apes 

Not to mention the various films that are going to do average/decent (Alice 2, ID2, Ice Age 5) 

• Like 2

Didn't care for Under the Skin. Maybe I was in the wrong mood or something but I just lost patience with it about halfway through.

I'd like to hear some interpretations though. What the heck is it about? "Men are assholes"?

Summer 2016 is our best chance at topping summer 2013 in attendance 

Captain America 3

Batman vs. Superman

X-Men - Apocalypse

Finding Dory

Sausage Party 

Tarzan

Doctor Strange (it's unofficially the July 2016 release  ;) )

Untitled Planet of the Apes 

Not to mention the various films that are going to do average/decent (Alice 2, ID2, Ice Age 5) 

Yeah there is some appealing stufff here. 

• Like 2

Didn't care for Under the Skin. Maybe I was in the wrong mood or something but I just lost patience with it about halfway through.

I'd like to hear some interpretations though. What the heck is it about? "Men are assholes"?

Some excellent discussion in the Review That Movie forum here. Check it out.

The GA is more the problem here then the studios. 

Maybe I am projecting, but take the same amount of people that saw TASM2 on OW and instead they watched Edge of Tomorrow, I'm sure Edge would make nearly $300m not the struggle to $200m that TASM2 is making.

Similarly, if you opened Dragon 2 to Monsters Uni numbers, that would have generated an even better second week hold for it and would easily outgross MU's total this summer. Even better, open it to Shrek 4 numbers and it would make $350m easily.

Yeah, it's the GA problem, but if the studio managed to get them in on OW...damn people suck. Flocking to tired franchises again and again.

Or on Hercules' weekend.

Why would millions of people suddenly show up a month later for a movie they rejected in the first place? None of the underperforming movies have done mediocre numbers because of huge competition - certainly not on OW. What you're saying makes no sense. And, of course, why on Earth would theaters ever agree to something like that?

• Like 3