Shadow

Rank The Indiana Jones Films

Posted Image

What is the freaking difference between a movie rated 86/100 compared to a movie rated 87/100. It's like the position of a script writer for a Michael Bay flick, completely meaningless.

Posted Image

It's not completely meaningless because it's for my personal purposes of ranking them. Yes, I could do it with a 10-point system and one decimal place, but that's basically the same thing. I like the finesse of assigning a fractional point to things, even though it doesn't matter dramatically. (And it also makes it easier and quicker to build up Top 10 lists or whatever because there are fewer ties.)

• Like 3

For me I like being exact.

80 - 82 B- 

83 - 86 B

87 - 89 B+

It gives each letter grade its own scale in a way. Its makes it easier for lists and fine points your thoughts. I know exactly how you feel about the movie even without a review. If you say 7/10 what is that a C? Not to everyone. If so then you probably give 85% of movies one of 4 grades.

• Like 1

Posted Image

It's not completely meaningless because it's for my personal purposes of ranking them. Yes, I could do it with a 10-point system and one decimal place, but that's basically the same thing. I like the finesse of assigning a fractional point to things, even though it doesn't matter dramatically. (And it also makes it easier and quicker to build up Top 10 lists or whatever because there are fewer ties.)

80 - 82 B- 

83 - 86 B

87 - 89 B+

It gives each letter grade its own scale in a way. Its makes it easier for lists and fine points your thoughts. I know exactly how you feel about the movie even without a review. If you say 7/10 what is that a C? Not to everyone. If so then you probably give 85% of movies one of 4 grades.

These reasons are exactly why I use the 100 point system. :)
  • Like 2

80 - 82 B- 

83 - 86 B

87 - 89 B+

Exactly. 7/10 is a B for me (well, low B or B-).

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

For me a 7/10 could be a C+, a B-, or a low B. Using just a 10 point scale can get confusing.

A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, F is a 10 point scale. It's just for whatever reason people refuse to use the full spectrum of any number based system. People just tend to stop at the number 5 or 6 unless they truley hate a film in which case they give it a 1.

So the way most people use a 10 point number scale is effectively as a 6 point number scale anyways.

Posted Image

Well its not meaningless to you if it feels you with comfort that it makes these arbitrary decisions of ranking films an easier task for you. But the same could be said for a thousand point rating system or a million point system. If I rate Shawshank Redemption 9.5644/10 and The Good, The Bad, The Ugly 9.5646/10, i can easily determine that I should place The Good, The Bad and the Ugly higher on my all time list but what does that 0.0002 difference actually mean? Absolutely nothing. That difference can easily be accounted based on a whole host of factors that have absolutely nothing to do with the films themselves. 

So to end this little rant of mine, you are perfectly entitled to use your 100 point system to help you make whatever decisions you like! But please don't try to tell me that there is any meaningful distinction between a movie you rated an 84/100 and an 85/100.

7 Point Scale Fo Lyfe Yo.

Master Class

Great

Good

Average

Mediocre

Terrible

Gave me Cancer

Edited by Spottswoode

A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, F is a 10 point scale. It's just for whatever reason people refuse to use the full spectrum of any number based system. People just tend to stop at the number 5 or 6 unless they truley hate a film in which case they give it a 1.

So the way most people use a 10 point number scale is effectively as a 6 point number scale anyways.

Yeah, but where are your Ds at? You can't go from a C- to a F.  :mellow:

• Like 1

Yes but again I like the detail and exactness. 87 and 89 are very very different scores for me. So it doesn't translate as well.

Of course its the same though, but not as precise. 

10 (93 -100) A

9 (90 - 92) A-

8 (87 - 89) B+

7 (83- 86) B

6 (80 - 82) B- 

But whats the point of saying 9.2 instead of 92. 

All B+ 's were not created equal ;) 

• Like 1

Yes but again I like the detail and exactness. 87 and 89 are very very different scores for me. So it doesn't translate as well.

Of course its the same though, but not as precise. 

10 (93 -100) A

9 (90 - 92) A-

8 (87 - 89) B+

7 (83- 86) B

6 (80 - 82) B- 

But whats the point of saying 9.2 instead of 92. 

All B+ 's were not created equal ;)

But what really is the difference between an 87 or 89? Or better yet: an 86 or an 87? 

• Like 1

Indy is my favourite series of films.  I love em all.  I wanted to be Indy and Rambo when I was a kid.

Raiders:  10.5/10 (one of only 3 movies I give the extra .5 to)

Temple:  9/10

Crusade:  9.5/10

Skull:  8.5/10

• Like 2