Noctis

Friday Estimates: SH2 $15m, Alv $8m, MI4 $4m

Please stop with the 'half glass empty' attitude. :)With Alvin bombing, Tintin is the only film for kids this Christmas.

It's not "bombing" per se, since the budget's only $75 million. But the franchise is obviously on its last legs here.I'll retain hope that Tintin is the reason it dropped so much, but I'm not optimistic.

No it isn't. Parents have refused to take their kids to the Chipmunks crap. They will take them to Spielberg-directed and critically acclaimed Tintin instead. :P

We can only hope but I don't see this down turn changing around for a while.

Every time a family movie does badly I can't help but smile.

How come? There are deserving, quality "family" movies out there (see Hugo and Muppets). I enjoy when crap like Alvin3 does poorly, but there's no joy in seeing quality movies underperform.
  • Like 1

What is funny is that both these movies are doing worse than their predecessors despite not having to deal with Avatar like those films did!

That's probably because Avatar sellouts meant people saw other movies instead. It didn't hinder them, it helped them.

How come? There are deserving, quality "family" movies out there (see Hugo and Muppets). I enjoy when crap like Alvin3 does poorly, but there's no joy in seeing quality movies underperform.

Hugo and Muppets have no appeal to me so it doesn't worry me.

Hugo and Muppets have no appeal to me so it doesn't worry me.

Whether they appeal to you or not, they're still good movies and it still sucks when something like Chipmunks, even though by the franchise standards is disappointing, will still make more than either of them. At least there's actual vision and effort behind those other two.

Whether they appeal to you or not, they're still good movies and it still sucks when something like Chipmunks, even though by the franchise standards is disappointing, will still make more than either of them. At least there's actual vision and effort behind those other two.

True.
  • Like 1

Obviously i suck at this prediction thing. I expected SH2 to do over 65M, even though i loathed the first one. :DStill hoping TGWTDT manages some respectable numbers. Quality movies seem to do good at this time of the year.

What is funny is that both these movies are doing worse than their predecessors despite not having to deal with Avatar like those films did!

That's probably because Avatar sellouts meant people saw other movies instead. It didn't hinder them, it helped them.

I think that's at least part of it. Another part of it is that those two movies' OWs included Christmas Day, as opposed to an ordinary working Friday. And then there's the fact that the box office climate was generally better in 2009 overall. Still, it can't be denied that the numbers for both are disappointing. Edited by Chrestomanci