Noctis

Friday Estimates: SH2 $15m, Alv $8m, MI4 $4m

What if the next December sucks too and Hobbit underperforms (in comparison to some predictions here) and misses 350M?

LMAO. It's the freakin Hobbit dude. 100M+ copies sold worldwide, coming off the greatest trilogy of all time and a 370M grosser in 2003 and it has native 3D. People have been waiting nearly a decade for this. Edited by Magic

LMAO. It's the freakin Hobbit dude. 100M+ copies sold worldwide, coming off the greatest trilogy of all time and a 370M grosser in 2003 and it has native 3D.

So what? DH2 had more going for it at the time of release than The Hobbit will. I can easily see how it can gross less than DH2.

Why is alvin's Friday number a disappointment? And if it does 10 mill on Friday, how in the world is it going to open to 30 mill? It should jump by at least 30% Saturday so that should put it at closer to 33 mill. Next weekend it will probably drop minimally. So it should be on track with a 33-35 mill opening and a 150 mill total, if not more. As for Holmes, if it does open to less than 50, which i called, then it doesn't surprise me. I never thought the first was as good as the box office suggested. It was a boring mess to me and this one looks about the same. I don't think it will clear 150, maybe less.

Why is alvin's Friday number a disappointment? And if it does 10 mill on Friday, how in the world is it going to open to 30 mill? It should jump by at least 30% Saturday so that should put it at closer to 33 mill. Next weekend it will probably drop minimally. So it should be on track with a 33-35 mill opening and a 150 mill total, if not more. As for Holmes, if it does open to less than 50, which i called, then it doesn't surprise me. I never thought the first was as good as the box office suggested. It was a boring mess to me and this one looks about the same. I don't think it will clear 150, maybe less.

Alvin outgrossing SH2 despite grossing almost half on OD and much poorer reception.. Clearly there is some bias there, baumer.

Alvin outgrossing SH2 despite grossing almost half on OD and much poorer reception.. Clearly there is some bias there, baumer.

Really? I hated the Chipmunks movie, but it is a kids a movie and they should have better legs. SH is a sequel, so there should be a rush factor to it unlike Alvin which has kids wanting to see it on the weekend, not Friday night. It's not a bias friend, I just don't think Sherlock was that appealing to begin with. I didn't like either film(s) but I do think Alvin will outgross it.

It's a disappointment because of how much lower this film will open to than the second film (48.9 million OW/219.6 million DOM)

It's a disappointment because of how much lower this film will open to than the second film (48.9 million OW/219.6 million DOM)

Are you really surprised Alvin 3 is opening so much lower? Weren't we all expecting a sizable drop off? Toy Story 3 excluded, most threequels drop from the second film.

Of course Moriarty is Sherlock's most famous nemesisyet in the marketing he's not played up at all and you are left uncertain whether or not he is Sherlock's greatest opponent instead of being sure of it through the aggressive marketing campaign that was supposed to pit Holmes against someone equally brilliant as he is (I'm talking about people like you who are unfamiliar with Holmes and his adversaries )

Yeah I don't know who Moriarty is and the marketing team has done a pretty bad job of convincing people like me why he's an interesting character that would make this movie worth seeing.

Really? I hated the Chipmunks movie, but it is a kids a movie and they should have better legs. SH is a sequel, so there should be a rush factor to it unlike Alvin which has kids wanting to see it on the weekend, not Friday night. It's not a bias friend, I just don't think Sherlock was that appealing to begin with. I didn't like either film(s) but I do think Alvin will outgross it.

Yup. Alvin is a kids film. But kids films also have bad legs. And this looks like a perfect contender for that.