Noctis

Friday Estimates: SH2 $15m, Alv $8m, MI4 $4m

Ha I knew it Ironman 2 all over againBoring marketing with no menacing villain for the hero = less money than the first movieIt will have slightly better legs than the first movie I think but it will probably do around 160-170 DOM

I've never read the books but I thought the villain they have in SH2 is the most famous villain in the whole storyline. That should've added to its appeal but apparently it didn't.

Lol, If Alvin underperforms then Tin Tin will definitely underperform. I am not even sure if it will reach 100m now

I don't see how Alvin flopping means Tintin will flop too. On the other hand, Tintin will get the audience now which won't go to Alvin due to poor WOM.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Warner Bros) NEW [3,703 Theaters]

Friday 16M (including $1.25M from 1,650 midnights), Estimated Weekend $45M (vs. $62.3M opening of Sherlock Holmes 1)

Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (Fox) NEW [3,723 Theaters]

Friday $10M, Estimated Weekend $30M (vs. $48.8M opening of Alvin And The Chipmunks 2)

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Paramount) NEW [425 Theaters]

Friday $4.1M (including $1.1M from Thursday evening/midnights), Estimated Weekend $11M

Young Adult (Paramount) Week 2 [986 theaters]

Friday $800K, Estimated Weekend $3M

10:30 AM, 2ND PDATE: Warner Bros is reporting that Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game Of Shadows opened to $1.25M from 1,650 midnight shows. That’s another very strong outing.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/first-box-office-mission-impossible-ghost-protocol-1-1m-from-only-425-screens-helped-by-dark-knight-rising-preview/

I've never read the books but I thought the villain they have in SH2 is the most famous villain in the whole storyline. That should've added to its appeal but apparently it didn't.

Of course Moriarty is Sherlock's most famous nemesis yet in the marketing he's not played up at all and you are left uncertain whether or not he is Sherlock's greatest opponent instead of being sure of it through the aggressive marketing campaign that was supposed to pit Holmes against someone equally brilliant as he is (I'm talking about people like you who are unfamiliar with Holmes and his adversaries )

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Warner Bros) NEW [3,703 Theaters]

Friday 16M (including $1.25M from 1,650 midnights), Estimated Weekend $45M (vs. $62.3M opening of Sherlock Holmes 1)

Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (Fox) NEW [3,723 Theaters]

Friday $10M, Estimated Weekend $30M (vs. $48.8M opening of Alvin And The Chipmunks 2)

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Paramount) NEW [425 Theaters]

Friday $4.1M (including $1.1M from Thursday evening/midnights), Estimated Weekend $11M

Young Adult (Paramount) Week 2 [986 theaters]

Friday $800K, Estimated Weekend $3M

10:30 AM, 2ND PDATE: Warner Bros is reporting that Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game Of Shadows opened to $1.25M from 1,650 midnight shows. That’s another very strong outing.

http://www.deadline....rising-preview/

Now that's better and keeps alive the chances of 200M.

@giteshpandya: Sources telling me FRI heading to about $15M for #Sherlock2, $8M #Alvin3 & $4M #MI4. Wknds near 40/25/10.

As bad as that is for Sherlock, it's absolutely fantastic for Alvin. I hope it goes down even more. Edited by lab276