BadAtGender

Tues# TF4 10.41, HTTYD2 2.61, 22JS 2.28, Malef 1.57, TLAM2 1.17 | Full numbers Page 1

I thought they focused the film way to much on the humor, Loki was a horrible villan I never felt like him of his army of aliens were a threat. It was  a fun movie but not a great one. The core actors were great. 

It's really fun but for me, the worst part of the film was the writing of the ending.

Nowhere was it set up they were basically yet another dumbass race of kill the mother, kill them all. That was just poor for an otherwise inventive and explosive film. Maybe they wanted to save on budget but that felt really off for me.

• Like 2

I don't see TA2 outdouing TA. I aslo don't see Avatar 2 outgrossing Avatar. 

TA 2 will be fun as it should the  break opening record (and perhaps opening day)  and do over a billion overseas. 

• Like 1

It's really fun but for me, the worst part of the film was the writing of the ending.

Nowhere was it set up they were basically yet another dumbass race of kill the mother, kill them all. That was just poor for an otherwise inventive and explosive film. Maybe they wanted to save on budget but that felt really off for me.

That didn't really bother me at the time but I see what your saying. 

I thought they focused the film way to much on the humor, Loki was a horrible villan I never felt like him of his army of aliens were a threat. It was  a fun movie but not a great one. The core actors were great. 

My thoughts kind of follow the same. I mean, yeah it's a fun film but it's nowhere near perfect like most people think. When you try to take it seriously, it's laughable.

• Like 3

I am not convinced that TA2 will increase during its OW. Marvel flicks have not shown enormous midnight appeal. Post Aurora midnight/previews have slowed down. Plus 3D share is locked to drop. But we will see how things go close to release. 

Avengers showed that it will not be a non midnight movie anyways ^^ 

Majority of the gross will still be made on Sat and Sunday. 

The fact CA2 and Im3 opened so strongly with a greatly diminished 3D share goes against your point.

I think looking at it TA2 has s much better chance at breaking the opening record. If anyone thought TDKR had a chance, TA2 has a much better chance. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 4

I feel like TA2's WW total will be almost the same as TA1, but maybe a bit less. The OW should be bigger tho.

Could happen if domestic falls, a lot, however how much can domestic fall 100 million? Looking at IM3 performance, TA2 still has a lot of space to grow overseas. 

• Like 2

Could happen if domestic falls, a lot, however how much can domestic fall 100 million? Looking at IM3 performance, TA2 still has a lot of space to grow overseas. 

We'll just have to wait and see. Doing slightly less WW still means $1.5b ish which is an amazing number.

Edited by Skybreaker
  • Like 2

We'll just have to wait and see. Doing slightly less WW still means $1.5b ish which is an amazing number.

I'm still tossed about it falling WW, because although I do agree it will fall DOM, OS I think will be higher. Could make up the difference if not more.

The first movie is well liked, a surprise hit and did all the way to $200M+ domestic. I think a gross of $300M is  a well-calculated, intelligent guess, definitely not a wild guess. I think with the glut of superhero movies (Captain, Spidey, Godzilla - a kind of superhero - and X-Men) which pull in significant family audience, Dragon 2 came at a time of fatigue, and the animation is perceived to be too violent for younger kids & girls, and too bland for the older kids. It will be difficult for studios to break the established mindset that animation is solely for cuddly characters and must contain a safe story. Not like in Japan where animation comes in all sorts of variety from Pokemon to intellectual action movie like Akira to XXX stuff.

You can defend these aposteriori totally wrong estimates all you want, they are extremely off nevertheless.

I thought Dragon2 was a stupid idea, because i would not have liked watching such a story as a kid. I could not understand why Panda2 did so poorly DOM. But it should have been a warning to all of us, that for every Despicaple Me 2 there is a Panda2, that disappoints.

All the films since TA have satisfied audiences. Unless TA2 really disappoints quality-wise, OS can only go up I think. Well China will at least make sure of it.