Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

2012 Movies I'm going to see in theaters

Underworld Awakening

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

The Hunger Games

The Avengers

The Amazing Spiderman

The Dark Knight Rises

Prometheus

G.I. Joe(2): Retaliation

Expendables 2

Resident Evil 5

The Hobbit

2012 Movies that are dependent on further trailers and/or a friend drags me

Journey 2 the Mysterious Island

John Carter

Wrath of the Titans

Cabin in the Woods

Dark Shadows

Battleship

MIB:3

Snow White & the Huntsman

Brave

Bourne Legacy

Total Recall

Dredd

2012 Movies that look interesting but are DVD bound due to $8/11 prices at theater

Red Tails

The Grey

Man on a Ledge

Mirror Mirror

American Reunion

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Django Unchained

- Looks like there isn't going to be a Paranormal Activity 4 this year? Was hoping for that.

- Some from that second section will no doubt find their way into the top section, probably 1/3 of them.

My interest in a movie starts with who's attached to it: either a director or writer whose work I find solid, intriguing, etc. If it's an adaptation of a book I love then I'm also interested. A trailer might make me interested in something that I wasn't previously aware of, or re-ignite my interest in something I hadn't been excited about earlier, but that happens less frequently. But despite my preference in seeing movies in theaters, it comes down to scheduling and a certain "must see" quality. I'm interested in THE GRAY because I like Joe Carnahan and Liam Neeson, for example, but it may well end up being a movie I catch on Netflix or Blu-Ray. For 2012, there are only 3 films that are "must see" in theaters: PROMETHEUS, TDKR, and THE HOBBIT.

My interest in a movie starts with who's attached to it: either a director or writer whose work I find solid, intriguing, etc. If it's an adaptation of a book I love then I'm also interested.A trailer might make me interested in something that I wasn't previously aware of, or re-ignite my interest in something I hadn't been excited about earlier, but that happens less frequently.But despite my preference in seeing movies in theaters, it comes down to scheduling and a certain "must see" quality. I'm interested in THE GRAY because I like Joe Carnahan and Liam Neeson, for example, but it may well end up being a movie I catch on Netflix or Blu-Ray.For 2012, there are only 3 films that are "must see" in theaters: PROMETHEUS, TDKR, and THE HOBBIT.

Joe Carnahan directed The Gray? It looks nothing like Narc or Smokin' Aces.

MOVIES I SAW THIS YEAR AT THE CINEMAS: (does not include movies I saw on video)HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS llTRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOONTHE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN lPIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDESCARS llTHORRISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APESCAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGERKUNG FU PANDA llX-MEN: FIRST CLASSSUPER 8GREEN LANTERNCOWBOYS & ALIENSREAL STEELBATTLE: LOS ANGELESIMMORTALSMISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOLSUCKER PUNCHTHE ADVENTURES OF TINTINTHE THREE MUSKETEERSWILL STILL SEE:SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWSMOVIES I'LL SEE NEXT YEAR:GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCETHIS MEANS WARJOHN CARTERTHE HUNGER GAMESWRATH OF THE TITANSAMERICAN REUNIONTITANICTHE AVENGERSDARK SHADOWSBATTLESHIPMEN IN BLACK lllSNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMANPROMETHEUSJACK THE GIANT KILLERABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTERBRAVEG.I. JOE: RETALIATIONTHE AMAZING SPIDER-MANTHE DARK KNIGHT RISESTHE BOURNE LEGACYTOTAL RECALLTHE EXPENDABLES llFINDING NEMOLOOPERSKYFALLTHE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN ll47 RONINGRAVITYRISE OF THE GUARDIANSLES MISERABLESTHE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEYWORLD WAR ZBy the way, Oscar baits are rarely shown here.

• Founder / Operator

Same here, I've been looking forward to 2012 for a very long time. On paper, and if most of the movies live up to my personal expectations, this looks like it could be my favorite year for movies since at least 2009, probably more like 2005 and maybe even a contender with 2002 (which is by far my favorite year ever).

Which means, I'm going to be dropping a lot of cash. Need to start hitting up the free screenings more often. :lol:

Edited by ShawnMR

Same here, I've been looking forward to 2012 for a very long time. On paper, and if most of the movies live up to my personal expectations, this looks like it could be my favorite year for movies since at least 2009, probably more like 2005 and maybe even a contender with 2002 (which is by far my favorite year ever).

Which means, I'm going to be dropping a lot of cash. Need to start hitting up the free screenings more often. :lol:

2012 is big, but IMO 2013 will be bigger.

March - 2012

John Carter

The Hunger Games

Wrath of the Titans

March - 2013

Oz

Elysium

Ender's Game

2012 has all potential franchise starters, while 2013 has one potential starter. Anyways looking at better movies I give it 2013.

May - 2012

The Avengers

Men in Black 3

Dark Shadows

Battleship

May - 2013

Iron Man 3

Pacific Rim

Star Trek 2

Fast 6

The Lone Ranger

May 2013 has one more. IM3 and The Avengers cancel each other out. If you take out Lone Ranger and compare the 3 May 2013 wins.

June 2012

Huntsman

Rock of Ages

Prometheus

Jack the Giant Killer

AL:VH

Brave

June 2013

After Earth

Man of Steel

Monsters University

R.I.P.D.

2012 wins, a very strong line-up. 2012 has more movies, 2013 could win if it gets more movies.

July 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man

IA:CD

The Dark Knight Rises

July 2013

Despicable Me 2

Robopocalypse

Horizons

Close call, 2012 has 2 SH movies while 2013 has none. On the otherhand 2013 has 2 sci-fi movies. So I will call it a tie.

August 2012

Total Recall

The Bourne Legacy

The Expendables 2

August 2013

Red 2

Smurfs 2

This one belongs to 2012.

November 2012

Breaking Dawn II

Gravity

47 Ronin

Skyfall

November 2013

Catching Fire

Singularity

Thor 2

Pixar - Dino

Close, both have similar movies, will let you decide.

December 2012

The Hobbit: AUJ

World War Z

Django Unchained

The Great Gatsby

December 2013

The Hobbit: TABA

Based on movies, has to go to 2012.