Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

See Lab I'd rather spend 20-25 on a blu ray and watch a movie on my own schedule

But you don't get the atmosphere of a movie theater, which may not make a difference to you, but it does to me. The idea of everyone having their full attention towards what's on the screen is what makes it appealing to me. I grew up in a family of six so it was rare for me to be able to watch a movie all the way through at home without distraction. Edited by tribefan695

But you don't get the atmosphere of a movie theater, which may not make a difference to you, but it does to me. The idea of everyone having their full attention towards what's on the screen is what makes it appealing to me. I grew up in a family of six so it was rare for me to be able to watch a movie all the way through at home without distraction.

But it's rare to see a movie where everyone has their attention on the screen. Texting, chatting, cell phone conversations, etc. Plus my local theater fucks up the surround sound a lot of the time. Seems like they crank the surround speakers so much that you can't hear the dialogue.

• Founder / Operator

I sympathize with both your points of view. There's nothing else in the world to me like going to a movie theater and experiencing a good film with a large crowd that is fixated on the story being told in front of us. Its a communal experience that cannot, and never will be, duplicated at home.

Conversely, however, rude people seem to keep multiplying their numbers these days. I can only remember one or two times in the last few months when I saw a movie and didn't have someone texting and/or chatting and/or talking above a whisper during a movie. Its disrespectful and distracting, and most theaters don't have management with sense enough to be more aggressive about getting rid of those people. If you can't sit through a movie without distracting others' enjoyment of it, you have no right to be there. Period.

Here in Montreal I'm lucky because I usually go on tuesdays which it costs 5.50$ (Guzzo) or 5.99 (Cineplex) for normal movies (at night) and maybe 8.50$ for 3D if I remember correctly. As for Guzzo cinemas which I have tons around me, with a membership card that you buy once for 5$ and lasts a lifetime, it allows wednesdays to also be like tuesday with the 5.50$ costs.So basically I always go on tuesday/wednesday nights and it never costs me more than 5.99. And these days I usually go on wednesdays because it's less crowded than tuesdays since tuesdays are "known" to be cheap movie night, while wednesday it's only in Guzzo theaters and if you have the card, which they don't really promote.Of course it has happened that i go to see a movie on a weekend and pay full price, but I rarely do it. And I have to say that if I had to pay full price everytime I would not go as often to the theaters, so I sympathise with those who are not as lucky as me. But on tuesday/wednesday I usually see any movie, even those who I am not too excited about, simply because it doesn't cost much and it's a nice way to spend an evening out. And usually with new movies, I'd rather wait a couple of weeks because it gets less crowded. So I'm not too interested in going out an opening weekend, unless it's a movie that I really am looking forward to such as in my signature.Anyways, just wondering, in the USA you guys have no cheap movie night at all??? Looking at some of the prices I'm seeing, wow this sucks :(

Anyways, just wondering, in the USA you guys have no cheap movie night at all??? Looking at some of the prices I'm seeing, wow this sucks :(

Depends on the chain. I know Carmike has a cheap Tuesday night and special prices for late afternoon/twilight showings. I only pay $3 Friday/Saturday late nights at my local Fridley theater with my student discount. Edited by tribefan695

Honestly, I do not go to the theaters too often anymore. These days I only go to the theaters to see movies that I'm can't wait to see otherwise I wait for the movies to appear on Netflix or HBO.

I'm the exact same way. I think I've only seen 3 movies in theaters this year. I'd much rather wait for most movies to come out on Netflix.

Maybe some other Australian people could back me up (or not), but I swear the whole rudeness thing is pretty much non-existant in Australia.

That is very good. I would love to live in a place like that. But in Portugal you just can't go to a theater anymore in the weekend. It is ridiculous. I may not see MI4 until January to avoid the crazyness in theaters because of the holidays.

Maybe some other Australian people could back me up (or not), but I swear the whole rudeness thing is pretty much non-existant in Australia.

That's great. Not surprised it's like that down under. Here in America we can't even get people to stop texting while DRIVING, never mind get them to stop it during a movie.

Here in Houston they were thinking of banning cell phone use during driving. Maybe theater owners should take the lead and ban cell phone usage during a showing. If someone is caught kick them out and ban them for a month. This will make the theater going experience much better.

Here in Houston they were thinking of banning cell phone use during driving. Maybe theater owners should take the lead and ban cell phone usage during a showing. If someone is caught kick them out and ban them for a month. This will make the theater going experience much better.

I still remember some idiot near me during TDK in IMAX texting. This was on opening Saturday and the guy had stood in line for an hour and a half, but apparently didn't want to see the movie enough to keep his phone off. Pathetic.

I wish I could have liked baumer's post. A very good read and it hit the nail on the head. Prices are truly outrageous. When I am in New York my cousin is my movie buddy. We go at least once a week. He buys the tickets, I buy the snacks. An adult ticket is $13. We usually try to catch a first showing which would cut the price down to $9.50 especially if we know we'll be seeing more than one movie a week. Snacks for the both of us usually come up to $20-$25. I can never deal with the combos because I cannot drink the size of drinks they give and i'd rather pay more than waste. So one trip to the movies for 2 can be $50. That's outrageous and I cannot even begrudge the people who pirate. Even if you can afford it it's still highway robbery.The obnoxious people in the theater are another thing. I cannot with people and their children. As a general rule I hate all children and the movie theaters are a big reason for it. I remember when I was young since neither of my parents are big movie people my older siblings and I would be dropped at the movies and then picked up. As children we were well behaved enough to regulate ourselves in public. These days the little monsters that are being raised to act like perfect beasts even in the presence of their parents know nothing of that. Thank God i'm in college and I can go to the movies during the day when the satan spawn are in school. I never even go to kids movies during school holidays. Add in the loud mouth adults, the annoying glow of people texting, the evil people who kick chairs and the people who eat and drink in the most loud and unsettling manner and the comforts of watching at home can be alluring. Even though i'm a movie person I can see why others aren't.And just to add one more thing. A movie theater is no place for a baby. I'm quite sure babies should be banned entirely.

• Like 4

I still remember some idiot near me during TDK in IMAX texting. This was on opening Saturday and the guy had stood in line for an hour and a half, but apparently didn't want to see the movie enough to keep his phone off. Pathetic.

Last time I went to the theater this couple brought their infant. Of course within few minutes of the movie starting he started crying. I just don't understand what has happened to sincerity for other human beings.