CoolioD1

Wednesday Actuals: TF4 - 3.68M (pg 10)

Here's a question that has just come up on another thread: is it the studios or the distributors that get the main say over theatre counts?

I'm struggling to understand how Lego could be expanding this weekend when did it a whopping $267 PTA last weekend. There is absolutely no economic rationale for a theatre chain to expand it so I can only assume that the studios have a veto over at least some portion of the theatre distribution?...

• Like 1

Big drops all around, especially for Transformers....blame Canada.

:), well tues AOE was up 93% in Can and 1% in USA, Wed Can -58% and USA -23, Canada also had the leasdt drop of Mon to Sun

Across all films

Mon to Sun/ Tue to Mon/wed To Tue

Can -38%, +73%, -50%

USA -56%, +10%, -18%

But they have a much better deal this time around in China.  I think they are getting about 36% of the box office.  And the DVD/BR/TV deal isn't necessarily going to be affected by the gross.  This movie might sell very well on HV.  The box office has nothing to do with that.

Get 25% of net BO, use to be around 13-16% , also pay a lot in fees to get films released in China

Can't say I blame them for this one. IMAX Corporation probably charges an arm and a leg for royalties on each movie.

Yeah there are % Royalty payments that both theaters and distributors pay, Imax however does pay for most/all equiptment, prints,marketing

• Like 7

Ray's track record hasn't been that good as of late. I don't know if that means that he's due to get this one right or if it means we can expect another wrong prediction.

Rays record isn't any better or worse than most here.
  • Like 3

Here's a question that has just come up on another thread: is it the studios or the distributors that get the main say over theatre counts?

I'm struggling to understand how Lego could be expanding this weekend when did it a whopping $267 PTA last weekend. There is absolutely no economic rationale for a theatre chain to expand it so I can only assume that the studios have a veto over at least some portion of the theatre distribution?...

I'm wondering if it's one of those "Saturday morning kids special" type of deals.

Though those usually don't get reported in the weekly/daily box office updates.

But expect WB to come in at a later point in time and say "oh yeah, Lego made another $3M from special showings".

• Like 1

Nothing.

The apocalypse.

I don't think too many people are predicting 100M OD for Avengers 2. It could happen, I suppose, but it's the type of movie that will be huge on both Saturday and Sunday, so no need to go super insane with the Friday number.

• Like 2