CJohn

Weeknd Official Est: Apes 2 - 73M | Friday Numbers and Saturday Numbers on Page 1

Speaking of apes, regarding Eastwood's Any Which Way You Can from the wikipedia article, "The ape who played Clyde in the second film died after being beaten by his trainer for stealing donuts from the movie set, he eventually died of a cerebral hemorrhage two weeks after the film wrapped."

wtf?

Damn.  That's horrific.

John Carter and The Lone Ranger say hi.

Disney aren't great. They rely on starpower and brand name to sell their movies. Hence, Depp/Wonderland, Oz, Jolie/Maleficent.

John Carter, does anyone remember the SB spot? Has to rank as one of the worst marketing ads ever.

• Like 2

Disney aren't great. They rely on starpower and brand name to sell their movies. Hence, Depp/Wonderland, Oz, Jolie/Maleficent.

John Carter, does anyone remember the SB spot? Has to rank as one of the worst marketing ads ever.

Come on, Disney's one of the best at marketing. That doesn't mean everything's gonna be a hit. We all know John Carter was a mess from the get-go with Stanton trying to run the show.

• Like 3

I want to say it was after Heavens Gate that the Humane Society started to monitor animals on a movie set.  So I think Any Which and Every Which were prior to that.

Also, I don't see how that number is disappointing for Dawn?

Unlike TASM2, Godzilla, DOFP and TF4, this was never expected to make $90m, or even $80m.

I think anything above $70m for it would be considered a breakout.

Anything in the $60s is expected, and it's where it's going to end up.

Regarding legs though, despite being a sequel, I don't think this really works as a conventional sequel. I mean, yeah, I could be wrong, but just like how the first seemed to come out of nowhere and leg itself to a nice total, this movie will open at least $10m higher, has more summer weekdays and has no competition whatsoever. True, we could see a STID, HTTYD2 effect, but I think Apes is more mainstream than the former and has really nothing similar to the latter. We still have absolutely no idea on how animated sequels really work or rather, unless you have idiotic characters doing idiotic things (Afro Circus, Minions) your movie gonna decrease bro.

• Like 1