CJohn

Weeknd Official Est: Apes 2 - 73M | Friday Numbers and Saturday Numbers on Page 1

I think Transformers films will always make money, because it's core audience - children - won't realise how shit it is until they're older.I went to see Batman and Robin in the cinema when I was a child and thought it was awesome.....

I'm pretty sure the core audience for Bayformers are teens and young adults.
  • Like 3

It's been said a million times now, and normally I wouldn't bother saying it again, but in this case I have to. The GA does not think that the TF movies are shit, otherwise they wouldn't make so much money.

Box office doesn't equal quality though.I think most people would agree Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a much better movie than TF2.
  • Like 4

It's been said a million times now, and normally I wouldn't bother saying it again, but in this case I have to. The GA does not think that the TF movies are shit, otherwise they wouldn't make so much money. 

Precisely.

Paradoxically, the Transformers films could have done much weaker numbers with a higher quality. There are so many moviegoers that like bad movies (obviously without realizing their low quality - or without caring about that) - they don't look for the structure or the hidden themes, just for some 'bang', 'smash' and 'boom'.

• Like 2

Box office doesn't equal quality though.I think most people would agree Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a much better movie than TF2.

Well, quality is subjective. I haven't seen Apes yet, but I can almost certainly say I will like it more than TF2, but that doesn't mean that everybody has to.

• Like 1

Precisely.

Paradoxically, the Transformers films could have done much weaker numbers with a higher quality. There are so many moviegoers that like bad movies (obviously without realizing their low quality - or without caring about that) - they don't look for the structure or the hidden themes, just for some 'bang', 'smash' and 'boom'.

Not necessarily.  The audience had dropped about 50% in admissions from the 2nd film which most acknowledge is the weakest of the bunch but rode the coattails off the popularity of the first.  If the next films had been done even just as well as the first my guess is admissions would have a much healthier drop off even with "franchise fatigue"

• Like 1

Good Number for it it wasn't going to go gangbusters and gross 90 million. 70 million is good for it.

This is a more thoughtful action drama than your typical SH movies. Plus, there are some really frightening stuff in it:  "You follow Koba now.." sends chill down everybody's spine. A young kid cried (why do parents bring young children to movies with "intense, frightening scenes" in it?). 

• Like 1

Precisely.Paradoxically, the Transformers films could have done much weaker numbers with a higher quality. There are so many moviegoers that like bad movies (obviously without realizing their low quality - or without caring about that) - they don't look for the structure or the hidden themes, just for some 'bang', 'smash' and 'boom'.

Burton's Planet of the Apes made more money than Rise and probably Dawn adjusted for inflation.Does that mean Hollywood shouldn't attempt skillful and layered storytelling?
  • Like 3