CJohn

Weeknd Official Est: Apes 2 - 73M | Friday Numbers and Saturday Numbers on Page 1

Stumbled onto "Takeshi's Castle" episodes on Youtube. Then researched it on Wiki and realized that it is a show from 1988 thru 1990. It aired in India with Hindi dubbing (really really funny dubbing, made it into a cult show) in 2002-2006 or so. It has apparently been dubbed in over 100 countries. Great legacy for what must have been a very low-budget series.

• Like 4

I been in Vegas all week and come back to you bums talking the same old crap. Well I guess the financial info is something new, lol. 

And you guys quit teasing Kelli about planning dinner parties. Women love doing that sort of thing every now and again.

So Vegas, that's where you've been. I miss you. Did you have fun?

Obligatory long time no see, welcome back gif for E

Posted Image

• Like 2

Stumbled onto "Takeshi's Castle" episodes on Youtube. Then researched it on Wiki and realized that it is a show from 1988 thru 1990. It aired in India with Hindi dubbing (really really funny dubbing, made it into a cult show) in 2002-2006 or so. It has apparently been dubbed in over 100 countries. Great legacy for what must have been a very low-budget series.

MXC!!

Right you are, Kenny!

• Like 3

Not sure if posted

4th UPDATE, Friday 8:57 PM: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ended up with an A- CinemaScore tonight and is on track at the moment to make around $26M to $27M for a three-day weekend cume of a possible $68M to $70M — depending on how much the World Cup Final audiences will dig into Sunday’s box office. The rest of the pack is playing almost exactly how they fared mid-week. Transformers: Age of Extinction is currently estimated to gross $4.46M tonight and is expected to cross $200M tomorrow; it will end the three-day with about $15M to $16M. After that, Tammyis expected to drop about 48% in its second weekend, taking around $11M to $12M, followed by How To Train Your Dragon 2 with $5.6M to $5.7M. Earth to Echo may fall about 33% in its sophomore frame competing for the No. 5 spot at the moment with 22 Jump Street; they both may take in around $5.5M for the weekend. In its second week, Deliver Us From Evil is a frightening 57% off and should take around $4M+

• Like 4

I dunno, Avatar never really tried to scientifically explain anything or ground itself. Even Lucas made more of an effort with the midichlorians nonsense than I remember Avatar doing.

The framework of everything in AVATAR is rooted in a "scientific"/technological construct: to travel to the planet, we use slow, scientifically-believable ships. The crew uses slow-sleep cryogenic-freeze to survive the long journey. The humans need masks to breath on Pandora. The lighter gravity on the moon allows the species to grow larger. Unobtanium is a believable substance, albeit one that does not exist (or has not yet been discovered). The ecosystems on Pandora are highly symbiotic (similar, in a way, to certain ecosystems on earth except far more so). These are all firmly-rooted scientific extrapolations that are far beyond anything found in Star Wars.  

Well, it does and I fully concede that. I still think the tone and limited relevance of those explanations to the main story shift it to the fantasy side of the speculativefictionmeter.

And yet, the story depends on and is rooted in these events playing out in a "realistic", non-magical way. The Na'Vi choose to perceive and experience their world in a highly spiritual and ritualistic way, but that does not mean the movie presents things in the exact same light.
  • Like 3

Not sure if posted

4th UPDATE, Friday 8:57 PM: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ended up with an A- CinemaScore tonight and is on track at the moment to make around $26M to $27M for a three-day weekend cume of a possible $68M to $70M — depending on how much the World Cup Final audiences will dig into Sunday’s box office. The rest of the pack is playing almost exactly how they fared mid-week. Transformers: Age of Extinction is currently estimated to gross $4.46M tonight and is expected to cross $200M tomorrow; it will end the three-day with about $15M to $16M. After that, Tammyis expected to drop about 48% in its second weekend, taking around $11M to $12M, followed by How To Train Your Dragon 2 with $5.6M to $5.7M. Earth to Echo may fall about 33% in its sophomore frame competing for the No. 5 spot at the moment with 22 Jump Street; they both may take in around $5.5M for the weekend. In its second week, Deliver Us From Evil is a frightening 57% off and should take around $4M+

Posted butt RTH said it was still looking at a potential 28-29...
  • Like 2

I think this is something of a category error. In the broadest sense, almost all sci-fi can also be called fantasy. Avatar is, fairly indisputably, a sci-fi movie.

Well, to compare, Apes is definitely more sci-fi than fantasy. The scientific grounding of the apes' rise to power is very much relevant to the story and a vital component of their complex relationship with the humans.

In Avatar, it doesn't really matter how the mountains float or why all the animals and Na'Vi share a connection. You just accept they do. It all plays into the notion of Pandora being this really cool, mystical place that humans should just keep their hands off of. That's not to say it isn't science fiction as well, but to say it's not fantasy is incorrect, imo.

• Like 1

Saw this at deadline:NOTEWORTHY: Lionsgate’s Divergent just finishing up its domestic run ended up taking in $150.09M domestically and $118M internationally for a total worldwide of $269.2M to date. Godzilla looks right now to be the first film in history to open to over $90M and not hit $200M. As of its last reporting, it had $198M on 352 screens. Its worldwide gross is $498.5M.Anyone agree with the latter?

• Like 1

I remember that being on TV here as MXC.

• Like 1

Saw this at deadline:NOTEWORTHY: Lionsgate’s Divergent just finishing up its domestic run ended up taking in $150.09M domestically and $118M internationally for a total worldwide of $269.2M to date. Godzilla looks right now to be the first film in history to open to over $90M and not hit $200M. As of its last reporting, it had $198M on 352 screens. Its worldwide gross is $498.5M.Anyone agree with the latter?

Yeah, I could see Godzilla missing 200M. It will be really close though, so I think WB will probably make sure it makes it somehow.

• Like 2

Well, to compare, Apes is definitely more sci-fi than fantasy. The scientific grounding of the apes' rise to power is very much relevant to the story and a vital component of their complex relationship with the humans. In Avatar, it doesn't really matter how the mountains float or why all the animals and Na'Vi share a connection. You just accept they do. It all plays into the notion of Pandora being this really cool, mystical place that humans should just keep their hands off of. That's not to say it isn't science fiction as well, but to say it's not fantasy is incorrect, imo.

Last post on the subject, I promise! :) Grace Augustine spends quite a bit of time exploring (and explaining!) much of the scientific background. It's not harped on endlessly because that's not great from a storytelling perspective, but the background world is well thought-out and isn't presented as anything way more magical than say, the deep uncharted Amazon (though it is certainly far more alien).
  • Like 3

Y'all extra.

Godzilla hasn't begun it's dollar theater run.

Like, damn, y'all.

It'll probably get to $198.5M without it, and then, with the dollar theater run, it should come close.

If it does miss, oh well.

I loved it, and that's all that matters to me.

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt
  • Like 6

Yeah, I could see Godzilla missing 200M. It will be really close though, so I think WB will probably make sure it makes it somehow.

Dollar theater run, Labor Day expansion, and a Godzilla/EOT double feature.

If Jupiter Ascending was releasing in July, Godzilla would have easily hit 200M thanks to double features with JA.

There is almost no way WB allows their franchise launcher designate movie to be remembered as "Highest OW to not hit 200M".

Edited by grim22
  • Like 4

And yet, the story depends on and is rooted in these events playing out in a "realistic", non-magical way. The Na'Vi choose to perceive and experience their world in a highly spiritual and ritualistic way, but that does not mean the movie presents things in the exact same light.

The movie presents it as both, which is why I see it as both genres. But it does ultimately decide to embrace the Na'Vi perspective.

• Like 1