#ED

Boyhood (2014)

Boyhood (2014)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Boyhood (2014)

Okay, so it's not the masterpiece the critics are raving about, but it's certainly the best film of 2014. The great thing about this movie is the acting and writing is so natural and organic. It's also impossible to ignore the massive achievement of filming a narrative feature over 12 years. Even though there's other films like the Up documentaries that have documented the lives of several people over the course of more than a decade, for a film that is actually scripted, and requires the dedication of so many actors and crew members, that it's just astonishingly unique and brilliant. It's a gimmick, yes, but gimmick is not an intrinsically bad word. Personally, that's why Richard Linklater should win Best Director at the Oscars this year, because of his dedication to such an enormous project, along with making a great film at that.

Just a great movie that'll definitely stand the test of time. It's not one of the greatest ever, but it's ambition coupled with it's unconventional yet interesting narrative, organic acting, astounding screenplay and top-notch direction is genius.

A

This is an incredibly subtle film. There's very little in it that stands out and amazes, but it sort of layers and builds on itself to create this really wonderous thing.

Around the two hour mark, it sort of hit me about just how difficult it must have been to pull this off. To keep the connection with the actors, some with appearances that are separated by several years, is amazing. And to have the consistency of character across that time makes it even more so.

The story isn't deep in the sense that there's some message about greater meaning. But the film as a whole is sort of mind-blowing. It's about life. For Hawke and Arquette, they gave performances of a lifetime, because it took a good portion of their lifetimes to actually do.

I don't know if I'd call it one of the greatest films of all time, but it's so incredibly unique I can't help but feel that the accolades are well deserved. For many films, we'll see something like them again, but I don't know if it'll be possible for anything like Boyhood to be done another time.

Although it would be really cool to see someone try, though with an entirely different sort of story.

• Like 7

The biggest compliment I can give this film is that for the first time in my life, it made me want to have kids.  The first half of the film absolutely floored me.  It had me laughing, crying and happy and giddy.  It's kind of like watching a 3 hour Seinfeld episode.  It's a story about nothing and yet everything.  It's observant, poignant, touching, infuriating and so much more.  I absolutely loved Hawke in this and he should have gotten a nomination over Cumberbatch.  The last hour of the film is still good but it didn't quite live up to the first half.  I still enjoyed it but at 2:45, it did feel a bit long.

8.5/10

• Like 3

The biggest compliment I can give this film is that for the first time in my life, it made me want to have kids.  The first half of the film absolutely floored me.  It had me laughing, crying and happy and giddy.  It's kind of like watching a 3 hour Seinfeld episode.  It's a story about nothing and yet everything.  It's observant, poignant, touching, infuriating and so much more.  I absolutely loved Hawke in this and he should have gotten a nomination over Cumberbatch.  The last hour of the film is still good but it didn't quite live up to the first half.  I still enjoyed it but at 2:45, it did feel a bit long.

8.5/10

Hawke is nominated for this (in Supporting Actor).

• Like 2