#ED

Boyhood (2014)

Boyhood (2014)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Boyhood (2014)

Unreal achievement in filmmaking and creative storytelling. It's difficult to review a film like Boyhood, but I'm floored at how alternately vast and intimate it was. I will never forget this movie. 

A+

The final shot of the film is perfect, and the best ending to a film since Her. 

It's a genuine experience. TRAN-FUCKING-SCENDENT. 

Fuck you, Jay.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 9

Unreal achievement in filmmaking and creative storytelling. It's difficult to review a film like Boyhood, but I'm floored at how alternately vast and intimate it was. I will never forget this movie. 

A+

The final shot of the film is perfect, and the best ending to a film since Her. 

It's a genuine experience. TRAN-FUCKING-SCENDENT. 

Fuck you, Jay.

I agree with everything except the ending. If I was forced at gunpoint to choose one thing I didn't love about the movie, I feel like the drive to college would have been a better place to end it, especially with the use of "Hero" playing as it faded into the credits. The last little bit felt somewhat tacked on, in my opinion.

But it really is truly transcendent. No matter who you are, this film has the opportunity to connect to everyone.

• Like 5

Now now, no need to slam people just for having a different opinion than you.

Lol I was kidding, I don't really care if someone doesn't like this movie (although reading some of the complaints from the few who didn't like this over the last few pages, I couldn't help but think "Wha..?").

• Like 1

I agree with everything except the ending. If I was forced at gunpoint to choose one thing I didn't love about the movie, I feel like the drive to college would have been a better place to end it, especially with the use of "Hero" playing as it faded into the credits. The last little bit felt somewhat tacked on, in my opinion.

But it really is truly transcendent. No matter who you are, this film has the opportunity to connect to everyone.

I agree. I thought the movie was going to end there, but they still ended it on a really moving note. 

• Like 1

I agree. I thought the movie was going to end there, but they still ended it on a really moving note.

I don't know, I kind of would have liked it to have ended at hero but I really like that last bit as it shows him finally stepping out as his own person.

• Like 1

I don't know, I kind of would have liked it to have ended at hero but I really like that last bit as it shows him finally stepping out as his own person.

With the movie that Boyhood is, ending with the drive and Hero playing would have felt really "typical" to me.  That's where every other movie would have ended and this is certainly not like any other movie.  

• Like 4

With the movie that Boyhood is, ending with the drive and Hero playing would have felt really "typical" to me. That's where every other movie would have ended and this is certainly not like any other movie.

Maybe, but I still liked that there was still a sense of ambiguity of his future. I feel like the ending makes it too clear that he's going to have a good time in college without getting to think about what he might do.

But again, it's not a huge detail, and I still love this movie like nothing else.

• Like 1

So many hipsters... 

Its a plodding nonsense with a nice concept but when the kid grows up he really can't act for shit and the only remotely interesting character was Ethan Hawke's 

First they bring you in with a concept then critics gush all over it then hipsters take over and further the praise and the rest of us are just supposed to accept that this is a masterpiece ??? 

Sorry, no deal 

3/10 

its a crime to spend 12 years making such a boring movie 

whilst using hipster as a pejorative is something that hipsters would do ironically, richard linklater is basically a hipster himself, so the accusation isn't entirely unfounded.

How can liking Boyhood be a hipster when it's an Oscar frontrunner, critics love it, and the vast majority of the audience that have seen it love it?  Wouldn't it make you the hipster for disliking it?

• Like 4

Linklater isn't a hipster at all. In fact, he's quite far from being one.

Dictionary.com: a usually young person who is trendy, stylish, or progressive in an unconventional way; someone who is hip.

Linklater is not trendy (at least in terms of following trends). He is not stylish. Nor is he progressive in an unconventional way.

• Like 2

catastrophic. am i supposed to be impressed that richard dragged around a kid for 12 years to be a prop in a film about nothing whatsoever? oh sorry, it's about life. maybe life is indeed uninteresting and trite, but that ought to spur indictment and motivation to achieve more, not celebration of mediocrity delivered by scene after scene of the most ridiculous cliche imaginable. also, it seems richard sent DNA of his prospective actors to 23andme to determine optimal future photogenicity.

1.5/10

lol so true