baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

True, but I think Emma Watson will be more commercially and critically successful going forward (not a very bold statement, I know). Daniel was serviceable as Potter but overall I don't find him to be terribly talented.

Emma Watson will be in greater demand because she has an almost obsessive male fanbase.Yes, some women consider Radcliffe a heartthrob but he seems to be resisting that title.
  • Like 2

Yeah, I think the fans are focused on remembering Paul Walker even more than the studio.

I'm sure the studio will push the Walker vigil the closer it gets.

That is the main reason I think it will open to 120M or more in April. Sounds crazy right now, but I can really see it happening.

• Like 3

Yes, this is a thread about longevity to box office.  Avatar may or may not do really really well in the next film, but for now, it has no business in this discussion.

• Like 1

That is the main reason I think it will open to 120M or more in April. Sounds crazy right now, but I can really see it happening.

There are going to be people that have never seen a Fast movie that go see this one. It's gonna be crazy big.
  • Like 3

Not in the same league as Potter.  They weren't huge films in the beginning.  Good sized, but nothing compared to Potter.

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year 1 Fast & Furious 6 Uni. $788.7 $238.7 30.3% $550.0 69.7% 2013 2 Fast Five Uni. $626.1 $209.8 33.5% $416.3 66.5% 2011 3 Fast and Furious Uni. $363.2 $155.1 42.7% $208.1 57.3% 2009 4 2 Fast 2 Furious Uni. $236.4 $127.2 53.8% $109.2 46.2% 2003 5 The Fast and the Furious Uni. $207.3 $144.5 69.7% $62.8 30.3% 2001 6 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Uni. $158.5 $62.5 39.4% $96.0 60.6% 2006 TOTAL: $2,380.1 $937.8 39.4% $1,442.3 60.6% - AVERAGE:

The difference in overseas gross between the first and sixth film is just astounding.

• Like 3

I wonder if the new HP series starting with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will continue the HP success, or take a dip similar to the Star Wars Prequels and The Hobbit trilogy.

They aren't even confirmed yet.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was thinking of an actual Harry Potter story.  These stories really have little to do with Potter so the chances of their success coming close to the heights of these ones are slim.

• Like 2

I wonder if the new HP series starting with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will continue the HP success, or take a dip similar to the Star Wars Prequels and The Hobbit trilogy.

I doubt it.Reboots, prequels, spin offs, they always drop.
  • Like 1

Now I've seen reports that Rowling is now worth 1 billion.  I imagine this new addition HP to Universal Studios might have put her over the top

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2

Except for the Phantom Menace.But that was one of the most anticipated movies of all time.

Except SW.  Making 300 million in 2002 is an enormous of amount of money and then Sith increased.

• Like 2

Great thread, Baumer. I can't really say what anyone here hasn't said but yeah the HP series is an anomaly in terms of both the books and the films.  There was nothing like it before and, thanks to the sheer length of the series, there may very well never be anything else like it.

• Like 3