CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

Can't ignore the multiplier, question is whether audiences are so turned off that they will refuse to see any sequel even if there are marked improvements. I think the improvements that audiences desire can be easily done. Are audiences willing to let the filmmakers give it another try?

It's a bit of an uphill battle, since opinion on this one will dictate somewhat the response to the next one.But with good trailers and marketing, the sequel could at least match this one. I do t think it'll open bigger though. But if PacRim getting a sequel makes sense, this one definitely does. So no matter.
  • Like 6

If they let the filmmakers give another try at The Purge, I think Godzilla will be fine.

Purge cost like 3m.Grante, Godzilla has done well enough to justify a sequel regardless, even considering the shitty legs.

It's a bit of an uphill battle, since opinion on this one will dictate somewhat the response to the next one.But with good trailers and marketing, the sequel could at least match this one. I do t think it'll open bigger though. But if PacRim getting a sequel makes sense, this one definitely does. So no matter.

:ph34r:

• Like 3

Why would we ignore the multiplier? It's one of the most important aspects of a BO run

Yeah, a bad multiplier shows that either: a. everyone up for seeing it in a movie theater did so very early on, or that b. people liked the idea of Godzilla, but once they saw it, they warned others away. If too many people didn't like the first one, the studio should be concerned that they might stay away entirely the next time, so it will make less money (suppose international collapses or slows) yet the budget will most likely increase. It's really not the same thing as a Fault In Our Stars, where all the fans rushed to see it the first few days and it only cost $12 million, so the studio is laughing all the way to the bank. Godzilla 2 will cost 15, 16 times than that just to make, it won't be good for the studio if it tanks domestically.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

It doesn't.

• Like 5

If you're lookiing at this generation's Star Wars, it sure as hell makes sense to me

Atlantic Rim opens with a long shot of Hunnam's severed hand falling from the stratosphere into the Australians' laps

• Like 5

Ha, no way. Marketing and distribution is probably 200m for this movie. Unless you think this film cost 130m in production costs.

I had always thought Boxoffice.com figures were Budget + DOM marketing. I mean, HBP marketing was something like 160m or 190m and BO.com total budget is only 320m. I googled marketing numbers for other movies, the ones I found had low BO.com budget, BO.com total is way too low to be WW marketing + budget. Edited by Goffe

I had always thought Boxoffice.com figures were Budget + DOM marketing. I mean, HBP marketing was something like 160m or 190m and BO.com total budget is only 320m. I googled marketing numbers for other movies, the ones I found had low total budget, BO total is way too low to be WW marketing + budget.

Yeah it is too low.Production budget plus domestic P&A just seems like a meaningless number. It'd be like me describing my yearly expenses, but leaving out my alcohol budget.
  • Like 1