Boxx93

Venezuela Box Office Thread

Disney lost $143million in foreign currency exchange in Venezuela based on the latest earning estimate.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/01/youll-never-guess-how-disney-just-lost-143-million.aspx

Instead of the exchange rate at the official rate 6.3, they only got the exchange rate at SICAD2 (50)

The reported $ of the movie gross is truly inflated.

Then why did RTH say studios are getting 6.3 exchange rate. I guess they are using the ER to bump up BO but reality is lto worse. its 8x worse than the reported gross. So Furious 7 just made like 3-4m.

Then why did RTH say studios are getting 6.3 exchange rate. I guess they are using the ER to bump up BO but reality is lto worse. its 8x worse than the reported gross. So Furious 7 just made like 3-4m.

In a nutshell, Everything and i mean everything is done in the various systems at the 6.3 rate(or whatever it is given month/yr etc) green light production numbers, BO, , rental cals from theatres ,Adpub budgets etc , there is notations about the fact rate may alter bringing money out. There is also a limitation on exporting so a certain amt/% can't leave the country. So if in the end what money does leave the country is at a different rate(s) it maybe a writeoff.

Having said that an acquaintance was in Ven  late last year and Credit card statements had rate at 6.3 so when stayed at hotels or even one time bought movie ticket  on his CC it was at that 6.3 rate.

• Like 4

In a nutshell, Everything and i mean everything is done in the various systems at the 6.3 rate(or whatever it is given month/yr etc) green light production numbers, BO, , rental cals from theatres ,Adpub budgets etc , there is notations about the fact rate may alter bringing money out. There is also a limitation on exporting so a certain amt/% can't leave the country. So if in the end what money does leave the country is at a different rate(s) it maybe a writeoff.

Having said that an acquaintance was in Ven  late last year and Credit card statements had rate at 6.3 so when stayed at hotels or even one time bought movie ticket  on his CC it was at that 6.3 rate.

Nobody should pay with a credit card when visiting countries like Venezuela or Argentina. Everytime I go there I change euros into local pesos in the black market and I pay everything in cash. If you pay with your card the banks use the official exchange rate and everything is more expensive than in Oslo or London

• Like 1

As of may 07th:

01.- AVENGERS: AOU: 348,5k adm (Cum 400k).
02.- FF 7: 139,8k (Cum 1,326k).
03.- PAUL BLART 2: 71,2k (cum 242k).
04.- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (France): 43,6k (cum 47k).
05.- CINDERELLA: 31,8K (Cum 742,6k).
06.- THE KINGSMAN: 19,85k (cum 97k).

AoU estimate (?): $11.2m

FF7 estimate (?): $35.8m

Edited by AD3S
  • Like 5

hello, i wonder where to get the admission data? i can find most Latinamerican countries' number except Venezuala's and columbia's?

For Colombian Box Office you can check on Facebook. Look for sihaycine there. They update the weekend Box Office every Monday :)

Edited by Henry The Last Avenger
  • Like 1

I met a guy who's working with FOX Venezuela and he gave me this:
Top 20 2014

Rank

Title:

Admissions:

Maleficent

Rio 2

Big Hero 6

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

X-Men: Days Of Future Past

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Transformers: Age Of Extinction

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Liberator (local)

The Amazing Spiderman 2

Blended: Family Moon

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

The Fault In Our Stars

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Alexander And The Terrible Day

Annabelle

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Er Conde Suelto En Hollywood (local)

300: Battle Of Artemesium

The Maze Runner

• Like 9

I'm working on it.

I know that Titanic and Maleficient are the only ones with +2m admissions (maybe Avatar is in this club too) and Papita, mani, tostòn is the venezuelan movie with more admissions. (1.72m). 

I'll let you know when it's done.

Avatar is most certainly in the +2 m admissions AD :)..... And so will Avatar 2 take it to the next level and Im betting set the newest record :). Congrats to Avengers 2 for a big OW in Venezuela :)

• Like 1

I'm working on it.

I know that Titanic and Maleficient are the only ones with +2m admissions (maybe Avatar is in this club too) and Papita, mani, tostòn is the venezuelan movie with more admissions. (1.72m). 

I'll let you know when it's done.

according to boxofficemojo, avatar only made $5,125,939 in Ve, that's not a good number.

according to boxofficemojo, avatar only made $5,125,939 in Ve, that's not a good number.

The real total gross for Avatar is $10.018.880 but BOM lowered their totals because on the weekend of January 15th, 2010 the exchange rate increased from BsF 2.2 per Dollar to BsF 4.3 per Dollar  but that movie was released about a month before the change happened so BOM got this one wrong

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 2

The real total gross for Avatar is $10.018.880 but BOM lowered their totals because on the weekend of January 15th, 2010 the exchange rate increased from BsF 2.2 per Dollar to BsF 4.3 per Dollar  but that movie was released about a month before the change happened so BOM got this one wrong

WOW! You are right! I haven't paid attention to that before! Thanks :)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=VE&id=avatar.htm