Olive

Weekend Numbers...pg 29 (Lucy 44M, Herc 29...big drops for most holdovers)

30m is very good for Hercules considering the weak marketing and Lucy's big breakout. Lol at some of y'all who had like sub 15m OW predictions trying to downplay the number now.  It will easily be a success with OS.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

30m is very good for Hercules considering the weak marketing and Lucy's big breakout. Lol at some of y'all who had like sub 15m OW predictions trying to downplay the number now.  It will easily be a success with OS.

Can't blame them cause the movie looked horrific.

Can't blame them cause the movie looked horrific.

I never thought it looked that bad honestly, especially for a mindless summer action flick. The only "bad" part in the marketing was that goofy "I AM HERCULEEEEEES!" bit. But I always thought most of you guys were too harsh on it all along, and reviews and box office seem to back me up.

Great opening for Lucy and I would say really good opening for Hecules too since a lot of people though it wouldn't come close to 30M. This proves Scarlet and The Rock are draws.

• Like 3

Great opening for Lucy and I would say really good opening for Hecules too since a lot of people though it wouldn't come close to 30M. This proves Scarlet and The Rock are draws.

Yeah, while I always expected Herc to pull 30m OW or so cause of The Rock, Lucy is definitely a huge surprise to me. ScarJo was unproven as a draw, and I absolutely thought the R rating would hinder it since it looked like it was marketed to the wider PG-13 audience. Aside from comedies/horror, we rarely see R's open this big. Didn't fall too short of the mega-hyped Prometheus' OW. Extremely impressive. Though I suspect legs will suck, but who knows.

they obviously became draws because of The Island and Pain and Gain respectively. Hail Bay. 

• Like 3

30m for Hercules is neither good or bad. For a summer blockbuster it is quite meh.

Perspective. It's a late July flick that only cost 100m. These day's that's barely a big enough budget to qualify as a "blockbuster" budget . Movies like Pompeii and Transcendence cost just as much. It will hit a solid 80m domestically, and likely at least double that OS (maybe triple). It will easily be profitable for Paramount. Not an epic flop like most people here were hoping.

Edited by MovieMan89

And in the cases of the family stuff, I wonder if Hercules overperformed among the kid/family quadrant. I saw a good amount of kids at my theater, they couldn't all be going to see Planes/Dragon/Echo/Maleficent if all of them dropped (unless my theater is not representative of nationwide performance this weekend).

Nice thoughts. The Rock actually looks like the kind of person children would see an an idol. And he's already done family films (Tooth Fairy, Journey 2 The Mysterious Island) so he may have built a fanbase there.
  • Like 3

She left?

Yes, she left him. Ryan Reynolds wants a woman that stays at home cooking and cleaning. ScarJo is not about that life. Notice how little you see of Blake Lively since she married Reynolds?
  • Like 2