Olive

Weekend Numbers...pg 29 (Lucy 44M, Herc 29...big drops for most holdovers)

Box Office Saturday AM: ‘Lucy’ In The Sky At $43M To $45M; ‘Hercules’ At Expected $28M to $30MBy ANITA BUSCH | Saturday July 26, 2014 @ 9:58pm PDTTags: And So It Goes, Box Office, Hercules, Lucy, The Fluffy Movie11th UPDATE, Saturday, 9:58 PM: Our estimates this morning were right on the money with Lucy looking to take in about $15.1M Saturday for a estimated 3-day cume of about $44.1M and Hercules coming in right around $29.9M at the moment. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes appears in line to take $6.6M on Saturday for a $16.3M weekend (also right in line with estimates) while The Purge: Anarchy is not doing as well as everyone thought it would on Saturday — probably $3.8M tonight and a weekend showing of $9.9M to $10M. Rounding out the Top Five isPlanes: Fire & Rescue with $3.7M on family movie day Saturday to gross maybe a $9M weekend. Rob Reiner’s And So It Goes, starring Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton is now on track to make around $4.4M. Will adjust grosses after I see another set of numbers.

Slight update, with Sat numbers for Hercules:11th UPDATE, Saturday, 9:58 PM and 10:30 PM: Our estimates this morning were right on the money with Lucy looking to take in about $15.1M to $15.4M Saturday (down around 10% from Friday) for a estimated 3-day cume of about $44.1M to $44.8M and Herculescoming in right around $29.3M to $29.9M at the moment after a $10.56M Saturday estimated gross (down about 5% from Friday).Dawn of the Planet of the Apes appears in line to take $6.6M to $6.8M on Saturday for a $16.3M to $16.65M weekend (also right in line with estimates) while The Purge: Anarchy is not doing as well as everyone thought it would on Saturday — probably $3.8M tonight and a weekend showing of $9.95M.

So Planes is a misfire. What's happening? Every animated film is underperforming. Is everyone not yet over of Frozen?

Lego Movie did great, so I don't think that is the answer. 

What was Hercules' budget? Is 30m actually a good number for it, or are we just comparing it to our previously terrible expectations?

The only # I could find on the budget was 100M. 

• Like 1

Maybe there's some sort of cycle with animated films.

2010 was great with TS3/DM/HTTYD/Tangled/SFA

2011 was mediocre though there were a lot of them Rango/Rio/Cars2/KFP2/PIB

2012 was ok with M3/Brave/WIR

2013 was great with MU/DM2/Frozen/Croods

No time to break it down further, but you can group Lego with 2013 for example and have the current "slump" start after. Though, really I don't think expectations were high for Rio 2 or Planes 2 even though the latter is severely underperforming. Dragon 2 is of course the major disappointment a la KFP2.

Maybe there's some sort of cycle with animated films.

2010 was great with TS3/DM/HTTYD/Tangled/SFA

2011 was mediocre though there were a lot of them Rango/Rio/Cars2/KFP2/PIB

2012 was ok with M3/Brave/WIR

2013 was great with MU/DM2/Frozen/Croods

No time to break it down further, but you can group Lego with 2013 for example and have the current "slump" start after. Though, really I don't think expectations were high for Rio 2 or Planes 2 even though the latter is severely underperforming. Dragon 2 is of course the major disappointment a la KFP2.

2011 you missed Tintin which was good, and rango was good. 2012 was the shit year