Olive

Weekend Numbers...pg 29 (Lucy 44M, Herc 29...big drops for most holdovers)

I wouldn't say animation is underperforming this year,1.LEGO Movie was a huge hit2.The Nut Job over performed for what it was.3.Was anybody expecting Peabody and Sherman to gross over 115m? I felt like that was its expectation4.Rio 2 nearly matched the first, it did very well for what it was.5.HTTYD2 definitely underperformed but that's a single movie6.Planes 2 underperforming? Should we be shocked? That speaks more of how audiences are finally getting tired of the franchise. (Each one has dropped from the predecessor)I think we can say animation is underperforming this year if three of these happen1.Big Hero 6 fails to hit 200m2.The Book of Life fails to hit 100m3.The Boxtrolls fails to hit 50m4.Penguins of Madagascar fails to hit 150m

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

DEADLINE:

Our estimates this morning were right on the money with Lucy looking to take in about $15.1M to $15.5M Saturday (down around 10% from Friday) for a estimated 3-day cume of about $44.1M to $44.7M and Hercules coming in right around $29.3M to $29.9M at the moment after a $10.56M Saturday estimated gross (down about 5% from Friday).

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes appears in line to take $6.75M on Saturday for a $16.3M to $16.65M weekend (also right in line with estimates) while The Purge: Anarchy is not doing as well as everyone thought it would on Saturday — probably $3.8M to $4M tonight and a weekend showing of $9.95M to $10.6M.

The Purge 2 is benefiting from, you know, actually focusing on the whole concept of the movie. That's what killed the first one- it had an interesting high concept premise but quickly turned into every home invasion thriller ever.

So Planes is a misfire. What's happening? Every animated film is underperforming. Is everyone not yet over of Frozen?

Planes performing poorly has absolutely nothing to do with Frozen. The movie simply looked bad and is apparently as bad as it looked, or worse. I couldn't even imagine adults having to sit through planes.

Good animated movies, like Lego, haven't had any problems in the post Frozen marketplace.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say animation is underperforming this year,1.LEGO Movie was a huge hit2.The Nut Job over performed for what it was.3.Was anybody expecting Peabody and Sherman to gross over 115m? I felt like that was its expectation4.Rio 2 nearly matched the first, it did very well for what it was.5.HTTYD2 definitely underperformed but that's a single movie6.Planes 2 underperforming? Should we be shocked? That speaks more of how audiences are finally getting tired of the franchise. (Each one has dropped from the predecessor)I think we can say animation is underperforming this year if three of these happen1.Big Hero 6 fails to hit 200m2.The Book of Life fails to hit 100m3.The Boxtrolls fails to hit 50m4.Penguins of Madagascar fails to hit 150m

Just going to make some comments.

Lego, great OW, average legs for WOM/genre.

Nut Job, disgustingly good.

Peabody, disappointment, just because DW average is now tanking doesn't mean their movies should be expected to make below $150m since almost all their other movies adjust above the mark already without 3D too.

Rio 2 actually slightly better than expected. This, like Cloudy 2, expected to drop and didn't have HTTYD predecessor WOM.

HTTYD2...did it even come out? No.

Planes 2, actually it's very disappointing considering popularity of Cars franchise, Planes legs last year, yeah it was crap but little kiddies love it and their parents seem to be idiots.

Big Hero 6 should be expected to make $200m because of Frozen, but look at Ralph. That had more "nostalgia" from its characters than some comic no one read and which has really been only loosely adapted.

Book of Life is not going to make $100m. It may not even make $50m. Stop motion doesn't do that well. It's from the company that brought us Free Birds, it could be awful. Your expectations are totally out of whack.

Boxtrolls similar to BoL but has Coraline and Paranorman behind it, still the concept is not as friendly as the other two, seems more kiddie than both, I think $50m would be great for it.

Penguins is interesting. Will see if the show had any effect or the length has any effect. I think like $120m is a good number for now that it has to hit. Has to.

• Like 1

Just going to make some comments. Lego, great OW, average legs for WOM/genre.Nut Job, disgustingly good.Peabody, disappointment, just because DW average is now tanking doesn't mean their movies should be expected to make below $150m since almost all their other movies adjust above the mark already without 3D too.Rio 2 actually slightly better than expected. This, like Cloudy 2, expected to drop and didn't have HTTYD predecessor WOM.HTTYD2...did it even come out? No.Planes 2, actually it's very disappointing considering popularity of Cars franchise, Planes legs last year, yeah it was crap but little kiddies love it and their parents seem to be idiots. Big Hero 6 should be expected to make $200m because of Frozen, but look at Ralph. That had more "nostalgia" from its characters than some comic no one read and which has really been only loosely adapted.Book of Life is not going to make $100m. It may not even make $50m. Stop motion doesn't do that well. It's from the company that brought us Free Birds, it could be awful. Your expectations are totally out of whack.Boxtrolls similar to BoL but has Coraline and Paranorman behind it, still the concept is not as friendly as the other two, seems more kiddie than both, I think $50m would be great for it.Penguins is interesting. Will see if the show had any effect or the length has any effect. I think like $120m is a good number for now that it has to hit. Has to.

Lego opened to 69 and grossed 255+ That is a 3.69 multiplier what movie of the last two years discounting frozen had better legs ( dm2 had the Fourth of July)

A huge amount of money was spent on animated films between MU and Lego. At some point families will stop going to the movies.

People say the comicbook market is crowded but the animated market is getting ridiculous. Not to mention crap like Planes and Nut Job keep coming out in between. Families will never stop going to these films but big box office numbers will become less common.