Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

I wish GOTG could open above $101M to nullify Paramount's fake Transformers number as the biggest opener during the summer.

Lol at the haters who are determined to believe that Transformers was fudged because they didn't like the film.
  • Like 2

LOL No No No.

It's 99% likely No, you're correct lol. But unlike Cap 2, Thor 2 and Iron Man 3, most Americans don't really even know who the Guardians of the Galaxy are. As far as the general public, GotG might be an original tent pole from Marvel. I doubt many have read the comics.Thus, I doubt the previews will be more than 8% of the weekend. It's not a sequel in the sense that the other Phase 2 movies are. It's relatively untested and most people on here thought this would be Marvel Studios' first disappointment.This is very similar to POTC 1 and even the first Iron Man in tone and in terms of reviews. But when you consider none of the original Marvel films have been extremely frontloaded (2%-6% of OW from previews so far), why would GotG top 10%? Not even IM3 and Avengers did that. Even with 10% of OW, GotG could get $110 million. I'd say 90-110 million is likely right now, but a surge of walkups tonight could get it past $110 million.Less than 90 million and it's the most frontloaded non-sequel Marvel has done so far. Only Cap 2 was more frontloaded if you throw in sequels

You know being the most lighthearted superhero film of the year might have something to do with it.

I remember thinking how misleading that perception of GotG was while watching the first scene of the movie.   There is some seriously dark stuff in that movie.   Don't let the jokes and bright colors fool you.

GOTG is as original as you can get while being based on a source material but most of the great Hollywood films were based on something else. Jurassic Park, The Shining, Forrest Gump. Are they any less great because someone  came up with the idea in a different medium?

Not to mention Gone with the Wind.  :)

Superhero/Comic book movie fatigue will become a thing. That I am sure of.

It will not be anytime soon, however.

I wonder.   Seems like there will be a whole new generation of fans coming along every 10 years.   Are kids going to be less interesting in fantasy SH stuff in 2025?

There are exceptions to everything but EOT is not one of them.

It was an adult science fiction alien war movie. To its target audience ( which includes me ) it was a great movie.  To the GA is was a good movie and did good movie numbers.

Mall Cop would have been a better example... not sure what people were smoking in 2009

Lego... a great movie.. did great numbers in Feb

HG... a great movie.. did great numbers in March.

CA2... a very good movie... did very good numbers in April

Gravity... a great movie... did great numbers in Oct.

Frozen... did not set any monthly records but did great numbers throughout winter.

GOTG... is looking like it will to great numbers in Aug.

The idea that you have to release movies in the summer to make money is gone.  Good/Great movies can make money any time of the year.

Hey..."very good numbers" were higher than "great numbers"?

• Like 2

If it does Avengers-level business this weekend it could open to 200M #nonsensethatsoundsthoughtful

I don't think anyone said Avengers numbers for this? I said if GotG has a surge in walkups tonight, it could possibly get a $50 million OD. Not sure what's so nonsensical about that. It's not a sequel so I don't think it'll be extremely frontloaded. Cap 2's previews accounted for 10% of its OW. No reason to expect GotG to go past that when it may as well be an original movie to GAs

Lol at the haters who are determined to believe that Transformers was fudged because they didn't like the film.

It's cuz Rth told everyone here it was fudged

• Like 3

It's cuz Rth told everyone here it was fudged

RTH dont know the exact studio assessment so I beg to differ!! :).. Transformers has a huge fanbase, though this one should havve been better. They really need to get a better story going to reclaim that 300+M territorry.. Losing SHia was a big blow to the franchise domestically and even OS proably would have gone up. He really is awesome as Sam

• Like 1

Guardians is the new Juggernaut!!  :o First stop the mighty titan though

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!

JUGGERNAUT 2016 and AND TITAN ARE FOREVER!!!!!!

........Until The Juggernaut sequels start to take over the all time list of course lol

Edited by Superman001
  • Like 2