Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

No, women are now wanting female characters that are not just love interests or sex objects, but if they are going to be sex objects, then you better put a man in there as a sex object too! GOTG has a kick ass woman, and a half naked Chris Pratt shot in there. I doubt TMNT is going to have neither (they could have had the latter if they put Casey Jones in there instead of fucking Vernon!)

Women just wants Mary Sues on steroid.

And all those good looking Superheroes are sex objects in my eyes.

• Like 1

On the looks side, oh yeah, I definitely agree. But Pratt has that smart ass humor that people also love about Tony Stark.

Poor Captain America. He's going to have to knock some heads for sure when we get Tony, Rocket, Gamora, Black Widow and Quill in the same movie.

ummm....

• Like 3

I don't need a female in or perspective  to any movie or book but many women understandably do. But when the only women that in it are reduced to just insulting T&A fodder I find it annoying, offensive and off putting as f***.  It's like have minorities in there just to shuck and jive and shine shoes. 

True about the minorities. I was telling some fellow Black co-workers about the upcoming Star Wars, and they were quick to respond "Meh, Star Wars is too white!" And when I told them Lupita and John Boyega are going to be in it, they responded "either as the villain or to be the first ones wasted, so again, meh!"

On the looks side, oh yeah, I definitely agree. But Pratt has that smart ass humor that people also love about Tony Stark.

Poor Captain America. He's going to have to knock some heads for sure when we get Tony, Rocket, Gamora, Black Widow and Quill in the same movie.

RDJ dominated his movie as Tony Stark. No one came out talking about anyone or anything else let alone anyone being better.  The same cannot be said for Pratt who to be fair is more a part of an ensemble piece .  Guardians is closer to The Avengers in terms of characters than the solo movies but even in The Avengers RDJ to quote hims dominated like a horny gorilla..

In terms of just performance a characters -  I'd actually rank Evans up there with RDJ in defining his character and I think Rogers being so straight laced is about the hardest lead to play and still be crowd pleasing in the era that loves a smart mouthed bad boy.  One of CA2's strengths is that he also made the character a believable bad ass without losing that innate good two shoes-ness.

Hemsworth is fantastic as well as Thor - he should hasn't had the film yet to truly dominate.  I think as mentioned earlier it's a good idea to play up his relationship with The Warriors 3 and give him his own ensemble like Stark and Rogers have instead of so much being centered around dull Jane and her human crew.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

What No Groot?

• Like 1

Women just wants Mary Sues on steroid.

And all those good looking Superheroes are sex objects in my eyes.

Gamora, Black Widow, Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley, Mystique, Cat Woman, Hit Girl, hell, even Mikaela Banes from Transformers 1 and 2 are Mary sues? GTFO.

• Like 1

I don't need to relate to anyone either. I just get sick of some random shot of a chick undressing herself down to her underwear. Star Trek 2 last year was particularly eye rolling with that shit.

Did men feel insulted with EVERY shirtless scene from Thor, Cap, Supes, Wolverine or even Star Lord?

• Like 4

Did men feel insulted with EVERY shirtless scene from Thor, Cap, Supes, Wolverine or even Star Lord?

LOL Well to be fair, they all had more to do than walk around showing off their goodies. :lol:

• Like 4

I don;t give a fuck what men think. The BO didn't suffer the slightest with the shirtless/ass shots of the men.

• Like 1

No but I think it helps if there's one female they can relate to and Michael Bay movies don't have those kind of females - they're just walking T&A for the male lead and audience. It might have helped bring in more of a female audience if Megan Fox wasn't playing April.

Obviously many females still see Bay movies otherwise they wouldn't make so much money
  • Like 1

LOL Well to be fair, they all had more to do than walk around showing off their goodies. :lol:

Yeah it's just when the female character is there to be hot and nothing else (or is some trumped up unbelievable "expert" a la Christmas Jones) that women find it eye rolling.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

Yeah it's just when the female character is there to be hot and nothing else (or is some trumped up unbelievable "expert" a la Christmas Jones) that women find it eye rolling.

I'm glad the days are gone when females in film can do more than scream, run and fall down.

• Like 4

BINGO!  Those characters bring the hot and sexy but they don't exist merely to be wank fodder.  Which is why even though there were some people griping about BW in tight black leather or shots of her rear and calling it sexism  I rolled my eyes.  There was as much heck less focus on her physical assets than that of the guys and just like the guys she had an actual character to play.

• Like 1

Not really. Most of their shirtless scenes were either unnecessary or could be done with their shirt on. :)

I forgot to add James Bond to the list.

• Like 1