Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Yep, I said this back on....well a while ago....they drop they predicted was too optimistic.  Films typically drop about 25% on Sunday in July.  18% is more like a mid simmer drop, not August.  

The beginning of August is mid-summer. Cap dropped like 21% less than 2 weeks before, but this is probably more of a Saturday film than that was.

The beginning of August is mid-summer. Cap dropped like 21% less than 2 weeks before, but this is probably more of a Saturday film than that was.

Thanks for the calendar lesson.  :)

I guess I mean that August films don't typically drop 18% on Sunday.

I want another 98/318 like IM. Im tired of these predictable runs. Everyone is either saying $210-230 or $250ish for Guardians. I want to see it go higher. Im tired of these huge opening, huge collapse, on to the next. Hopefully Guardians can defy it.

• Like 2

I want another 98/318 like IM. Im tired of these predictable runs. Everyone is either saying $210-230 or $250ish for Guardians. I want to see it go higher. Im tired of these huge opening, huge collapse, on to the next. Hopefully Guardians can defy it.

Let's hope so.

I think they just wanted to be over Godzilla and as close to Cap 2 as possible. But really, when a movie overperforms like this one is, why would you "fake it 'til you make it"?

Isn't the world enough for you, Disney? Isn't it???? :ca::father:

People don't like to hear this about Disney but the current regime under Bob Iger is probably the most insidious of all the major film studios.  The entire company is built solely around driving the stock-prices up and pleasing the shareholders and nearly every executive is only concerned about the short term and could care less about the long term viability of the company.  It's funny to me that the Disney brand still has so many loyal fans who somehow think the spirit of Walt walks the hallways of Burbank.  Don't even get me started on what Iger has done to the Theme Park division.  The sooner this clown resigns the better.

Edited by spatulashack
  • Like 7

Thanks for the calendar lesson.   :)

I guess I mean that August films don't typically drop 18% on Sunday.

Not typically, no. But, that could be said for any weekend in the summer without a holiday involved. 18% or less drops for PG/PG-13 films on Sunday are typically due to sellout spillover(TDK, etc) but there is the random ROTPOA with 17%.

• Like 1

Hope is not reality. Comic book(and any fan based) films do not usually have much better than 2.5 multis. It's just the way it is.

• Like 1

People don't like to hear this about Disney but the current regime under Bob Iger is probably the most insidious of all the major film studios.  The entire company is built solely around driving the stock-prices up and pleasing the shareholders and nearly every executive is only concerned about the short term and could care less about the long term viability of the company.  It's funny to me that the Disney brand still has so many loyal fans who somehow think the spirit of Walt walks the hallways of Burbank.  Don't even get me started on what Iger has done to the Theme Park division.  The sooner this clown resigns the better.

It's because they keep putting out movies that people enjoy. It really depends who takes over after Iger leaves. If it's someone other than Rasulo, Staggs, or Crofton then things should be different.

• Like 1

I guess this weekend finally proves once and for all that audiences do know the difference between Disney Marvel movies and other studios' Marvel movies. Can you imagine what GOTG would have opened to if Fox or Sony had made it?  :lol:

And there are still some people doubting AOU can match the first one after every Marvel Phase II movie has overperformed . . .

• Like 1

Hopefully, that attitude doesn't trickle down to the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, because, at least what Marvel has shown is an ability to take their time to set up a long term movie franchise.

• Like 2

It's because they keep putting out movies that people enjoy. 

Yeah, and Walt was certainly no saint either. Disney has their share of junk but when they get it right, they really get it right.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

It's because they keep putting out movies that people enjoy. It really depends who takes over after Iger leaves. If it's someone other than Rasulo, Staggs, or Crofton then things should be different.

The success of the film division is in spite of Iger.  I'm not knocking any of the great films they've created over the years but it doesn't change the fact that the company itself needs a massive overhaul and a return to what made it so great in the first place.

• Like 3

Hope is not reality. Comic book(and any fan based) films do not usually have much better than 2.5 multis. It's just the way it is.

I know, Im just bord of seeing everything stall out. Not saying I want GOTG to duplicate IM, $318 is very tough, but even $278M is satisfying. At least its $20M higher than everything else this year and not clumped in the typical range. Just growing better legs and pulling that extra $20M would be cherry.
  • Like 1

I know, Im just bord of seeing everything stall out. Not saying I want GOTG to duplicate IM, $318 is very tough, but even $278M is satisfying. At least its $20M higher than everything else this year and not clumped in the typical range. Just growing better legs and pulling that extra $20M would be cherry.

250 is a good start. That would at least get it past...that other summer movie. ;)

By the way, there were a lot of families at my Guardians showing yesterday. Much more so than any of the other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies on their opening weekends. Strange.

Gun toting raccoons are pretty family friendly I guess. :P

The success of the film division is in spite of Iger.  I'm not knocking any of the great films they've created over the years but it doesn't change the fact that the company itself needs a massive overhaul and a return to what made it so great in the first place.

Agreed. Especially if we're talking about Walt Disney World. Disneyland seems to still be doing great. The film division has a lot of talent there. And the purchase of The Muppets, Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm were all great purchases. Iger has done some things well. But, hiring Rich Ross was a mistake, the Next Gen debacle at Walt Disney World is a financial mistake, and there is way too much worry about short term gains for the stock price than making smart long term moves.

Still, there is so much great IP there that the foundation is there for greatness. They just need to focus more on the long term.

• Like 1

Yeah, and Walt was certainly no saint either. Disney has their share of junk but when they get it right, they really get it right.

My statement had nothing to do with the quality of the film division or the output of that film division.  I was referring to the corridors of power within the greater Walt Disney Company.

• Like 2