Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Hopefully it will get into the stupid 90M mark it has been haunting blockbusters this year. Michael Bay still has nightmares about that 98M OW that Paramount paramounted into 100M just to make it look better.  :ph34r:  :P

I doubt Bay would care enough to have a nightmare over that 2m. He'd probably already move on.

The haters on the other hand... :mellow:

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 6

Hopefully it will get into the stupid 90M mark it has been haunting blockbusters this year. Michael Bay still has nightmares about that 98M OW that Paramount paramounted into 100M just to make it look better.  :ph34r:  :P

It will be great if Transformers has the best OW of the summer. It makes everybody here so mad. 

• Like 6

This story has been all over the place. I'm sure it's just me, but I don't find it funny at all. As a theater manager that sounds like hell. If I were a patron and had that happen to me, I don't think I would be enjoying it either.

Could've been worse. At least it wasn't Nymphomaniac playing instead of Frozen.

• Like 2

BOM explains it well : Shows began early (7 p.m.), and everyone is out of school (which wasn't the case with the April and May releases). Also, Marvel's most committed fans (i.e. the ones who go on Thursday night) have always been on board with Guardians; it remains to be seen if more casual viewers have bought in.

AKA Possibly Frontloaded.
  • Like 1

This is actually hilarious, that showing which played Rise of the Guardians was done 3 times before they finally put on Guardians of the Galaxy. Fun read.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/02/cinemagoers-flock-to-see-guardians-of-the-galaxy-are-shown-rise-of-the-guardians-instead-4819196/

I am guessing it was not fun for the people who worked at the theater or the audience. My local theater a year after I quit it took them about 30 minutes longer to start Iron Man 2. My friends were working told how mad the audience was getting. 

• Like 2

What kind of Sunday drop are you expecting?

Sunday drops are weird as fuck honestly.A movie like TDKR only dropped 10% on Sunday in July. I wouldn't be shocked if it's just below 20% in this case.37.830 23.4 (-22%)91.2? That's my good scenario. The Saturday increase is crucial.
  • Like 1

It shouldn't make less money on Sat than Godzilla, right? Being a family movie and all.

But Godzilla made 32M on Sat, it's Friday being 38.4M and with a 9.3M  midnight. So without peviews it's number still is 29.1 vs 26.6 of GOTG. Even if it gets a stronger increase I think it would still fall short.

Sunday drops are weird as fuck honestly.A movie like TDKR only dropped 10% on Sunday in July. I wouldn't be shocked if it's just below 20% in this case.37.83023.4 (-22%)91.2? That's my good scenario. The Saturday increase is crucial.

This is basically in line with my prediction. Apes released on the same weekend last year and experienced a 17.3% decrease sunday so 22% seems about right.