Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Walking through the mall and just passed a huge banner for "Marvel Universe Live" coming to our Arena, with Spidey, Cap, everyone on it. MARVEL is every freakin where I go.And great Guardians numbers, lets get summore.

• Like 1

BTW what is everyone expecting as far as a Sunday drop? August can be a mixed bag when it comes to drop consistency.

The first Captain America is probably the best comparison being released in late July. It dropped a good 20.6% on Sunday.

I'm hoping GotG only drops 25% at most. :bop:

• Like 1

Nobody can mess with Disney right now.They have an Infinity Gauntlet with 4 gems: Marvel, Disney Animation, Pixar, and Star Wars.

Disney have big guns, but other studios are still better overall hence Disney haven't won a year for more than a decade now. Won't win this year either. 

Edited by Alfredstellar

I don't think anybody saw that coming. Especially not Guardians. That was at the bottom of the list for most folks CBM predictions.

Yeah it was rolling with the Turtles for predictions. I think there is even a club for the two of them.

• Like 1

Disney have big guns, but other studios are still better overall hence Disney haven't won a year for more than a decade now. Won't win this year either. 

Who is gonna win this year then? FOX?

The hell? Disney already won 2012 with Avengers and 2013 with Frozen. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Should be enough fans for Turtles to be huge and Guardians still do a big weekend, depends if this is the type of film

comic fans want to see again and again though... Im very excited for Turtles after trailer 2.

Turtles 65-70M , Guardians 38-40m :)

Well if the turtles don't do as well as you're hoping, I can tell you the reason why right now. Before GotG at my theater, they were showing what looked like a new trailer for TMNT. And it was a terrible trailer! No story at all, just one scene after another of the turtles being as obnoxious as possible.

Then at the end there was a voiceover, and it was one of those theater public service messages: don't talk or text on your cell phone, no whispering, etc. But up until that point, it appeared to be a real trailer, albeit a horribly bad one. Any viewers who weren't paying enough attention would definitely be reconsidering their decision to go and see TMNT.

Very poor judgement on the part of TMNT marketing to let the turtles be used for this, I thought.

Well if the turtles don't do as well as you're hoping, I can tell you the reason why right now. Before GotG at my theater, they were showing what looked like a new trailer for TMNT. And it was a terrible trailer! No story at all, just one scene after another of the turtles being as obnoxious as possible.

Then at the end there was a voiceover, and it was one of those theater public service messages: don't talk or text on your cell phone, no whispering, etc. But up until that point, it appeared to be a real trailer, albeit a horribly bad one. Any viewers who weren't paying enough attention would definitely be reconsidering their decision to go and see TMNT.

Very poor judgement on the part of TMNT marketing to let the turtles be used for this, I thought.

I actually liked that, with all the turtles going "shhhh".

• Like 1

That's FOX's ambition, AA. Josh Trank is a good filmmaker and these are good actors. 

One film does not establish a pattern. Too many directors have shown themselves to be one hit wonders:

Paul W.S. Anderson: Showed a lot of promise with Mortal Kombat, then made Event Horizon, among other travesties like Three Muskateers.

Richard Kelly: Donnie Darko to Southland Tales and The Box

Michael Gondry: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to Be Kind Rewind and The Green Hornet

Jan De Bont: Speed to well, you know the rest.

It's hard to make a hit in Hollywood, that much harder to make two.

• Like 2

Disney releases fewer movies and still gets 2nd or 3rd.That means they are averaging alot more per movie.
  • Like 3