Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Maybe Guardians was a concept that was always meant to open bigger than the Thor and CA concept one.

It's uniqueness opened a bigger aspect of the MCU with its cosmic part and that is also of a greater appeal...

Not to mention its director passion was very contagious and played a large part into promoting that movie.

Yeah, Guardians trailers were very different and stood out compared to the majority of the trailers released.

Everything else went with a dark, serious looking tone and color schemes, Guardians went all out colorful spectacle with wacky humor and it worked.

• Like 2

Humour. Same with Iron Man. It's also the reason HTTYD 2 Is underperforming I think. Films play wider when they sell themselves (successfully) on humour.

Even TDKR's trailers had humor. When that guys hat was blown off I was in stitches.

This is Hollywood, though. The take away won't be fresh and fun, the take away will be talking wildlife.

Yeah, Warner Bros will probably incorporate Raccoons into the Jungle Book: Origins movie for comic relief.

Reasoning being,

"Apes and Guardians were two of the bigger hits last summer, what did they have in common?  Cute, fluffy animals!"

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Rocket Groot stand alone spinogf in the future.

I'd watch it. Heck, even the Rocket solo comic is pretty good so far.

edit: Well, Rocket's one whole issue that's come out so far was pretty good, at least.

Edited by Orestes

Yeah, Guardians trailers were very different and stood out compared to the majority of the trailers released.

Everything else went with a dark, serious looking tone and color schemes, Guardians went all out colorful spectacle with wacky humor and it worked.

You make sound that movies that made 230-250m dom with a darker tone were flops and this is where GOTG bo is heading so ...

Both approaches can work if done right.

• Like 1

Hopefully studios get the message and quit all of the remake/dark reboot crap (like two live action Jungle Book and Tarzan movies coming out, really??) and start coming up with some more fresh adaptions like this.

Cute.

You make sound that movies that made 230-250m dom with a darker tone were flops and this is where GOTG bo is heading so ...

Both approaches can work if done right.

I'm not saying they can't, but it definitely helps when your trailer sticks out from the crowd.

Edited by The Panda