Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

It's a space opera. The only thing tying it to CBMs is the Marvel name (and presumably all the inevitable crossovers).

If it opens 90+ i think that makes it the second biggest OW for a space opera/adventure ever behind Episode 3? It wont have avatar or star wars leg but that seems pretty cool.

GOTG benefits from the box office being dead right now and it avoided all the comic book films from the beginning of summer. But its all a fight for second place. Katniss will take the US crown and T4 or the Hobbit will take the WW crown. 

It's a space opera. The only thing tying it to CBMs is the Marvel name (and presumably all the inevitable crossovers).

Babylon 5, BSG, Star Wars are all in the same boat.  It doesn't make them any less original IMO.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is I see it as CBM expanding into different genre.  I've read a lot of comments here that CBM is not a genre into itself but merely a sub-genre of say action.  GotG is merely trying to expand that perception.

• Like 1

Babylon 5, BSG, Star Wars are all in the same boat.  It doesn't make them any less original IMO.

Oh, I'm not arguing that being space opera made it unoriginal. I'm just saying it's a space opera (though is it worth pointing out that all of your examples are original?)

I remember in my theater right after the movie was over I saw this little girl getting up, she was probably around 7 and she said very enthusiastically "I loved it!" 

GOTG will connect with kids the way TA did.  I wouldn't be surprised if this thing has massive legs.

Oh, I'm not arguing that being space opera made it unoriginal. I'm just saying it's a space opera (though is it worth pointing out that all of your examples are original?)

Ahh.  I thought you were saying it wasn't original because it was a space opera.  

Well whatever...I'm gonna finish my wine and startup Innerspace.  Saving 2nd GotG viewing for tomorrow.  

GOTG isn't original.

Come on Tele, you know better than that.

The characters before the movie were total unknowns and the tone and feel of the movie have some originality.

Most people dismissed the movie when it was announced because the characters seemed so far out there.

Do I have to remind you this has a talking tree and a fast and furious rancoon who likes big guns ?

Compared to what Hollywood is proposing right now, GOTG is unique, fresh original and cool.

• Like 4

We need an update, still hoping for 40m

changing that to high end , although think need a good push to get there, looking like matinees were slightly higher than though they would be

atm going lower and go with 36.6-40,late afternoon WC  most had 38 as low end and just over 40 high

• Like 10