Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Interesting point.  

Posted Image

Yeah. Like I said, the property was obscure even to the comic readers.

I remember when it was announced, there were a lot of head scratching over why they chose it. And even more so from fans who wanted something else.

And it was snickered at because people thought it was completely ridiculous. With some think that Marvel is getting way over their heads, arrogant, desperate for something cosmic, etc...

• Like 6

That's great! Hopefully GOTG fans will seek out some of that original pulp stuff, because it's great. And because since movies are like 70-odd years behind SF literature (when it comes to big blockbusters anyway), that old stuff will feel fresh and vibrant. :)

I love watching old serials, and old sci-fi movies.

But it's safe to say that none of them come remotely close to the splendor and grandeur of GOTG.

You can watch all the old cartoons you want, but that doesn't make it nostalgic. Nostalgia is hearing a theme song that reminds you of the times when you were a kid and you raced home after school so you could watch Darkwing Duck. That was me 25 years ago and I heard that theme recently and man, it was crazy. Sorry, if that's rude, but it's true.

Why should my age make me less able to feel nostalgia?

I love watching old serials, and old sci-fi movies.

But it's safe to say that none of them come remotely close to the splendor and grandeur of GOTG.

If we're talking movies, it's not exactly a fair comparison, since pre-SW, none of them remotely had the budgets or significant talent (whether in front of or behind the camera) that modern blockbusters have.

If we're talking SF in general, then all bets are off..... but I really, really doubt it.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

That's great! Hopefully GOTG fans will seek out some of that original pulp stuff, because it's great. And because since movies are like 70-odd years behind SF literature (when it comes to big blockbusters anyway), that old stuff will feel fresh and vibrant. :)

We can then all proceed to experience the Nathan Hunt patented nostalgia.

Yeah exactly, the people involved and the material in question will always, even in a minor way, affect a viewer's perception of material. I don't see why that's inherently a bad thing, as long as you recognize it's the case

One difference with GOTG being a Marvel movie is that because it is set in the MCU, we know that it is in the same exact universe and Iron Man and Captain America.

GOTG being a Marvel movie literally does add something to it.

• Like 2

I'm not going to read your spoiler, because I *do* plan on seeing it. :) But I still think your post reeks of hyperbole. :D

It's entirely possible. I probably just need to see the film again. But my love for films usually grow with each viewing, so this is not normal for me to gush after only one watch. ;)

It's entirely possible. I probably just need to see the film again. But my love for films usually grow with each viewing, so this is not normal for me to gush after only one watch. ;)

My first viewing of REIGN OF FIRE was an unqualified gushing rave. ;)

• Like 2

330 AM here.

Congrats to Marvel for being masters of the universe.  Now they can retire to a room filled with smoke and remind themselves of such.

And glad you all liked it, I'm envious of you.  I wish I did too.

I'm off to dream land where hopefully I dream of swimming with bow legged women.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 5

330 AM here.

Congrats to Marvel for being masters of the universe.  Now they can retire to a room filled with smoke and remind themselves of such.

And glad you all liked it, I'm envious of you.  I wish I did too.

Good Night Baumer.

• Like 2

It's LieMAX. Nolan will scorn you and give you nothing.

Reserved seating is too good to pass up this time around.I'm also worried Chewy has cursed me because he didn't get the trailer
  • Like 2

Reserved seating is too good to pass up this time around.I'm also worried Chewy has cursed me because he didn't get the trailer

I did. I totally did

Speaking of which, I should probably just cave and watch it on youtube...

• Like 2