Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

edit: I'm not even going into the countless SF novels and serialized adventures that have gone leaps and bounds past GOTG in terms of originality or bizarre, unique fun within the same genre.

Just because this comes to mind from that:

Holy crap, Ancillary Justice.

I mean. OH MY FUCKING GOD, Ancillary Justice!

It is so damn good. Beats the shit out of any sci-fi that's appeared on any sort of screen in... decades, probably.

(Gaaaaaawd, Ann Leckie. Why is the sequel not in my hands RIGHT NOW?)

• Like 2

It's true though.  If this wasn't a marvel film, it would be snickered at.

I don't think so.  I've enjoyed all the Marvel film but had never heard of GOTG and thought it looked stupid.  The trailers convinced me to see it opening weekend instead of waiting for reviews to decide if I'd see it in theaters.

• Like 1

Just because this comes to mind from that:

Holy crap, Ancillary Justice.

I mean. OH MY FUCKING GOD, Ancillary Justice!

It is so damn good. Beats the shit out of any sci-fi that's appeared on any sort of screen in... decades, probably.

(Gaaaaaawd, Ann Leckie. Why is the sequel not in my hands RIGHT NOW?)

It's a dense read. Man, I know I read fast, but her whole gender pronoun thing just kept fucking me up. Great book though.

• Like 1

FARSCAPE alone is probably weirder and more unique than GOTG -- although admittedly I can't pass judgement on the movie until I see it.

Which is probably not a fair comparison in the first place, even if we're ignoring the demands of a populist blockbuster versus the demands of low-budget cable TV. Farscape had dozens of episodes to get weird and we've only seen a single GotG movie

I haven't seen much Farscape but I'm certain it did get weirder

• Like 1

Really the closest things to Guardians are the TV shows Firefly and Farscape 

I did get a slight Firefly vibe from it, especially a Quill/Mal parallel. But to be clear, Star-Lord first appeared in the 70s so not really a fair comparison.

So is Guardians of the Galaxy worth seeing?  Is it a lot different from the usual comic book fare that I'm almost completely burnt out on at this point? Does it feel more like a scifi or space opera or something else entirely?  I'm gonna go out for a smoke, brb.

• Like 1

Which is probably not a fair comparison in the first place, even if we're ignoring the demands of a populist blockbuster versus the demands of low-budget cable TV. Farscape had dozens of episodes to get weird and we've only seen a single GotG movie

I haven't seen much Farscape but I'm certain it did get weirder

I don't disagree, but still... (and even the pilot of FARSCAPE is fairly out there).

Just putting it out there: if you liked GOTG, people, there is a shit-ton of amazing stuff to read! Explore it!

• Like 2

So is Guardians of the Galaxy worth seeing?  Is it a lot different from the usual comic book fare that I'm almost completely burnt out on at this point? Does it feel more like a scifi or space opera or something else entirely?  I'm gonna go out for a smoke, brb.

Space Opera. And yes it's worth seeing, but I'm biased since I saw it...with an open mind(Just kidding, B ).

Edited by RaccoonsDineOnAAinHell™
  • Like 2

Space opera through and through.

• Like 2

It's a dense read. Man, I know I read fast, but her whole gender pronoun thing just kept fucking me up. Great book though.

It tripped me up for a bit but when I realized what she was doing and why, it was a huge holy shit moment for me. It's really difficult to get something that gets to the core of our assumptions about gender norms and completely turns them on a head.

I dunno if it'd ever be possible to adapt it for screen and still retain that poignancy, but It's probably not necessary.

Has it won the Hugo yet?

• Like 1

The cinematography alone gives it a fresh feel. It doesnt feel manufactured like most of the genre at all. Well not to me.
  • Like 2

The ceremony is Aug 17.

It's a really weird year because I've actually read several of the nominees before the ceremony.

(Well, okay. I've read one of the Wheel of Time books. Back in the '90s. I didn't like it.)

• Like 1

Maybe we should start another thread, or take it to CC... because I fear we're drifting too far off-topic.

Speaking of which, hopefully GET ON UP rises a bit from current estimates... I need it to beat LUCY.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

It is. You'll have a lot of fun watching it. I felt like watching a comedic more colourful version of Star-Trek.

It isn't worthy of 90+ RT score though. It isn't as good as Cap2 or TA but it has way more humours and most of them really work..

It's going to appeal to GA more than Cap2 not because it's a better movie but because it's easier to watch.

Maybe we should start another thread, or take it to CC... because I fear we're drifting too far off-topic.

Speaking of which, hopefully GET ON UP rises a bit from current estimates... I need it to beat LUCY.

Umm... yeah. I didn't realize this wasn't Classic Conversation. Oops.

• Like 2