Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

He's wrong. :P (It's also perfectly possible for it to be a "space documentary gone wrong" and a science-fiction film.)

Watch from 2:30 onward. He said it's not science fiction :P This is his brother though. 

Edited by ban1o

Watch from 2:30 onward. He said it's not science fiction :P

He's wrong. (Or he's thinking science fiction has to include some invented technology or some fantastical setting.)

Here's why it's science fiction: it takes place in the near future in a slightly alternate reality... a reality in which NASA kept the shuttle missions going (the featured shuttle mission in the movie is STS-157, when the actual missions stopped at 135). It features a fully-completed, large-scale Chinese space station -- Tiangong -- when actually at this moment it's only partially built and won't be finished until the early 2020s. Therefore, it's speculative fiction that takes place in the near future, postulating a situation where the US space program was actually more active and vibrant than it currently is. All this puts it firmly in the science fiction genre.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 5

Yes I know. I'm Chinese. :P

BTW, that must be really good for increasing the chance of a China release. And if it ever gets it, I suppose 80m should be a piece of cake.

Haha. :P

Yes, that's why I said somewhere (can't remember if it was this thread or elsewhere) that it should get a Chinese release; I think it'd do quite well there.

I made that mistake just yesterday - saw that Wiki article on Tiangong, except didn't read enough of it to realize it's not finished yet, and then tried to claim Gravity wasn't sci-fi. Felt kinda embarrassed when I saw my mistake. (Still, at least we know for sure that Tiangong as it is in the movie can and will exist in reality; we're just a few years away from it.)

Edited by Jake Gittes

From what I heard, the chance of a Chinese release is small.

Yes I know. I'm Chinese. :P

BTW, that must be really good for increasing the chance of a China release. And if it ever gets it, I suppose 80m should be a piece of cake.

Wow, you think so ?

You might want to see how it does in other places first ...

RT is essentially worthless pre-Internet era. The only way to accurately gauge an older movie's critical reception is actually dig up the reviews on microfiche at your local library.

I remember reading an article that if RT existed when the original 3 Star Wars movies came out they received numbers like, 76%, 52%, and 34%. 

I remember reading an article that if RT existed when the original 3 Star Wars movies came out they received numbers like, 76%, 52%, and 34%. 

It's kind of funny how mixed reviews for ESB. Also, audiences didn't seem to like it as much as ANH since it had such a steep drop like from Shrek 2 to Shrek 3 status or DMC to AWE kind of drop.

It's kind of funny how mixed reviews for ESB. Also, audiences didn't seem to like it as much as ANH since it had such a steep drop like from Shrek 2 to Shrek 3 status or DMC to AWE kind of drop.

At the time there was just nothing like that, It ended on a straight cliffhanger and no matter how good it was it was always gonna drop off from Star Wars. 

With four hours to go, the 7:30pm show at the IMAX at Navy Pier is almost sold out. The only seats left are in either the very sides or the front row. The 5:20pm and 9:40pm shows are also looking quite full.

Edited by Gravetti

I will say this, I honestly never expected this movie to be so good. I know this movie was hyped for months, and I thought that was a bit silly. At best, I was expecting a slightly above average movie. But, what I witnessed instead was one of the greatest achievements in cinema.

• Like 1

From what I heard, the chance of a Chinese release is small.

Wow, you think so ?

You might want to see how it does in other places first ...

Yes I believe that. As long as WB really pushs it in China, it will do well. It already got excellent reviews on douban.

At the theater! 5:30 showing, we're lined up now about to go in. Im so friggin excited and im doing imax 3D, i just brought a powerade and bottle of advil just in case haha, but ill update you guys! Right now almost everyone in this line is over 25 and the females are outnumbering the males a good ratio.

• Like 3

At the theater! 5:30 showing, we're lined up now about to go in. Im so friggin excited and im doing imax 3D, i just brought a powerade and bottle of advil just in case haha, but ill update you guys! Right now almost everyone in this line is over 25 and the females are outnumbering the males a good ratio.

Always a good thing.  B)

• Like 4