Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

I have to say it's a credit to how immersive this movie is that I was so caught up in it when I saw it with what was clearly the worst audience of all time. Several people were getting their phones out, talking and there was one dude in front of me who fell asleep about half an hour in. ANd worst of all they all laughed at the awful Kevin Bacon commercial that plays before every movie here in the UK. Terrible, terrible human beings.

I have to say it's a credit to how immersive this movie is that I was so caught up in it when I saw it with what was clearly the worst audience of all time. Several people were getting their phones out, talking and there was one dude in front of me who fell asleep about half an hour in. ANd worst of all they all laughed at the awful Kevin Bacon commercial that plays before every movie here in the UK. Terrible, terrible human beings.

What?! People were using phones during this? Thats incredible, I cant imagine the miserable, dull existence of someone who gets so bored during Gravity as to start using their phone. 

Also I saw the Kevin Bacon add before every movie I saw in London and nobody laughed.. ever. 

I know, it's 85 fucking minutes guys, if you can't go that long without looking at it you should probably seek help for your addiction. I mostly don't even take my phone with me when I go to the cinema now.

So because of that I want to see this again, probably sometime mid-week in the middle of the day when I'm sure there would be less assholes around. Also wanna see how this holds up in 2D/NoMax.

• Like 2

What?! People were using phones during this? Thats incredible, I cant imagine the miserable, dull existence of someone who gets so bored during Gravity as to start using their phone. Also I saw the Kevin Bacon add before every movie I saw in London and nobody laughed.. ever.

What ad is that?

That's the reason why some movies open with a thunderous soundtrack with gigantic lettering after the studio logo.

Boooom-swish-brrrrmmm - to keep the jaded chatty audience quiet. During GRAVITY's first 10 minutes people are

sighing, pulling out their cellphones. Only when the debris comes in, they are in rapt, all the way to the end. 

Audience nowadays are not so used to long elaborate takes. They are all Michael-Bay-ed.

And H'wood is just gonna escalate till there are no more dialogues and exposition scenes, just

wall-to-wall action to keep them off those damn cellphones !!!

Edited by zackzack

Here's a cool little featurette about building the 3D conversion while simultaneously working with the VFX house who're generating elements on their own. It's goes into just one shot, but shows how complicated even a seemingly-simple shot can be.

http://vimeo.com/78259829

(start 1:00 in, the intro is just text talking about the specific software being used)

Edited by Telemachos

Here's a cool little featurette about building the 3D conversion while simultaneously working with the VFX house who're generating elements on their own. It's goes into just one shot, but shows how complicated even a seemingly-simple shot can be.

http://vimeo.com/78259829

(start 1:00 in, the intro is just text talking about the specific software being used)

That's how good 3D conversions should be. For live action scenes they had to kind of "recreate" everything in CG.

The level of complexity of modern blockbusters is towering.

I don't think GA have a clue about how much brain and computer power those movies need to be done.

Some people who work in those VFX companies could have ended at Nasa or something ...

• Like 1

Gravity's second biggest market is France.

I think it could do a killing in China (they loooove 3d and China is part of the plot) and brings its total around Man Of Steel WW total.

Chinese will definitely love this. In fact it's already been a hot subject on the internet since the US release. The problem is it's against a very packed schedule and LoP type of numbers wont be able to happen.

Edited by vc2002